Dec 22, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr actually spoke today, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. That’s newsworthy because it represents the first direct contact between the two sides since last Tuesday.
The union and NHL aren’t expected to meet before Christmas, but Shannon speculated that the negotiations should resume on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.
Daly recently predicted that the two sides would need to come to a CBA agreement by mid-January if the season is to be saved.
Meanwhile, the players have authorized the NHLPA board to file a disclaimer of interest. It’s not clear when or if the union will exercise its new powers, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
The threat of the union dissolving might put pressure on the NHL to further compromise, but Daly previously warned that it might have the opposite effect.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly said before the results of the player vote were known. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (51)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)