Dec 22, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr actually spoke today, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. That’s newsworthy because it represents the first direct contact between the two sides since last Tuesday.
The union and NHL aren’t expected to meet before Christmas, but Shannon speculated that the negotiations should resume on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.
Daly recently predicted that the two sides would need to come to a CBA agreement by mid-January if the season is to be saved.
Meanwhile, the players have authorized the NHLPA board to file a disclaimer of interest. It’s not clear when or if the union will exercise its new powers, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
The threat of the union dissolving might put pressure on the NHL to further compromise, but Daly previously warned that it might have the opposite effect.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly said before the results of the player vote were known. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)