Dec 22, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr actually spoke today, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. That’s newsworthy because it represents the first direct contact between the two sides since last Tuesday.
The union and NHL aren’t expected to meet before Christmas, but Shannon speculated that the negotiations should resume on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.
Daly recently predicted that the two sides would need to come to a CBA agreement by mid-January if the season is to be saved.
Meanwhile, the players have authorized the NHLPA board to file a disclaimer of interest. It’s not clear when or if the union will exercise its new powers, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
The threat of the union dissolving might put pressure on the NHL to further compromise, but Daly previously warned that it might have the opposite effect.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly said before the results of the player vote were known. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)