Dec 22, 2012, 8:18 PM EST
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr actually spoke today, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. That’s newsworthy because it represents the first direct contact between the two sides since last Tuesday.
The union and NHL aren’t expected to meet before Christmas, but Shannon speculated that the negotiations should resume on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.
Daly recently predicted that the two sides would need to come to a CBA agreement by mid-January if the season is to be saved.
Meanwhile, the players have authorized the NHLPA board to file a disclaimer of interest. It’s not clear when or if the union will exercise its new powers, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
The threat of the union dissolving might put pressure on the NHL to further compromise, but Daly previously warned that it might have the opposite effect.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly said before the results of the player vote were known. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)