Dec 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Team Canada’s shootout win over Sweden in preliminary action wasn’t without some controversy.
Forward Boone Jenner, a top Blue Jackets prospect, delivered what appeared to be a late hit on Swedish forward Jesper Pettersson. Jenner received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct and faces discipline by the IIHF that could put his status in doubt for the World Junior Championships which begin on December 26.
Here’s video of the play courtesy of HockeyVideoHD on YouTube.
Mark Masters of TSN heard from Jenner who defended the hit.
“It happened pretty fast,” Jenner said after Canada’s 2-1 shootout win. “I was just in on the forecheck, forechecking hard, just trying to finish my check and thought I made sure my arm and my shoulder were down so I thought it was a clean hit.”
Pettersson had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher. If Jenner is given a lengthy suspension, Team Canada will be down two forwards after Charles Hudon had to leave due to a back injury. Mark McNeill replaced him on the roster.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 16
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 29
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)