Dec 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Team Canada’s shootout win over Sweden in preliminary action wasn’t without some controversy.
Forward Boone Jenner, a top Blue Jackets prospect, delivered what appeared to be a late hit on Swedish forward Jesper Pettersson. Jenner received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct and faces discipline by the IIHF that could put his status in doubt for the World Junior Championships which begin on December 26.
Here’s video of the play courtesy of HockeyVideoHD on YouTube.
Mark Masters of TSN heard from Jenner who defended the hit.
“It happened pretty fast,” Jenner said after Canada’s 2-1 shootout win. “I was just in on the forecheck, forechecking hard, just trying to finish my check and thought I made sure my arm and my shoulder were down so I thought it was a clean hit.”
Pettersson had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher. If Jenner is given a lengthy suspension, Team Canada will be down two forwards after Charles Hudon had to leave due to a back injury. Mark McNeill replaced him on the roster.
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 0
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 27
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 33
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona