Dec 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Team Canada’s shootout win over Sweden in preliminary action wasn’t without some controversy.
Forward Boone Jenner, a top Blue Jackets prospect, delivered what appeared to be a late hit on Swedish forward Jesper Pettersson. Jenner received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct and faces discipline by the IIHF that could put his status in doubt for the World Junior Championships which begin on December 26.
Here’s video of the play courtesy of HockeyVideoHD on YouTube.
Mark Masters of TSN heard from Jenner who defended the hit.
“It happened pretty fast,” Jenner said after Canada’s 2-1 shootout win. “I was just in on the forecheck, forechecking hard, just trying to finish my check and thought I made sure my arm and my shoulder were down so I thought it was a clean hit.”
Pettersson had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher. If Jenner is given a lengthy suspension, Team Canada will be down two forwards after Charles Hudon had to leave due to a back injury. Mark McNeill replaced him on the roster.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)