Dec 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Team Canada’s shootout win over Sweden in preliminary action wasn’t without some controversy.
Forward Boone Jenner, a top Blue Jackets prospect, delivered what appeared to be a late hit on Swedish forward Jesper Pettersson. Jenner received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct and faces discipline by the IIHF that could put his status in doubt for the World Junior Championships which begin on December 26.
Here’s video of the play courtesy of HockeyVideoHD on YouTube.
Mark Masters of TSN heard from Jenner who defended the hit.
“It happened pretty fast,” Jenner said after Canada’s 2-1 shootout win. “I was just in on the forecheck, forechecking hard, just trying to finish my check and thought I made sure my arm and my shoulder were down so I thought it was a clean hit.”
Pettersson had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher. If Jenner is given a lengthy suspension, Team Canada will be down two forwards after Charles Hudon had to leave due to a back injury. Mark McNeill replaced him on the roster.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)