Was Bill Daly serious about saying there would be a season?

Dec 21, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT

BillDaly

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly caused a bit of a stir the other day when, while put on the spot with a “yes or no” question, he said he believed there would be a season.

So was that a guarantee?

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, in a lengthy Q&A with Daly, asked him to clarify what he said.

“I only had two choices: Of course, I was going to answer ‘Yes’,” said Daly. “Yes, I do (have optimism). That’s more my nature. I don’t understand to a large extent why we’re where we’re at. I still think at the end of the day we should be able to get deal.”

Optimism sure is nice to have and it would be great if his instincts play out correctly and a shortened season does occur. That said, it’s tough to have optimism when the NHL has canceled games through January 14 and it would seem like if there’s another cancellation it’ll be for the rest of the season.

But hey, if the NHL’s second in command feels like there’s going to be hockey that’s good… Right?

1. cbghockeyvideos87 - Dec 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

he better be serious

2. shoobiedoobin - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Like I said before, Eliotte Friedman should take some of the blame. Daly was screwed no matter what answer he gave. Friedman made him give an answer that no one knows is true or not just to stir up headlines.

3. shortsxit34 - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I agree, Shoobie.
    He only had two choices. He obviously couldn’t say, “No, there won’t be a season.” Way too much was made about his “Yes” comment.

4. phillyphanatic77 - Dec 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m really tired of these guys saying “I don’t know how we got here”. We’re in this absurd and totally illogical situation because of your shortsighted greed. And it’s gotten this far because “compromise” has never been a viable negotiating tool in these discussions. Put the ego’s aside and make a damn deal. Or just cancel the season already.

• shoobiedoobin - Dec 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM

When Bettman says “I don’t know how we got here” I will call BS until I pass out. When Daly says it, part of me thinks it’s his way of saying “My associate here is a stubborn, overly proud little man who won’t swallow his pride. I’d love to help but I can only do so much”. You get the feeling if this were Steve Fehr and Bill Daly, we might be playing hockey right now.

5. id4joey - Dec 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM

This is BS. He received his bachelor’s degree from Dartmouth and his law degree from New York University School of Law. Since when do these guys only have 2 options to answer a question? If anything, they are experts at not answering questions accurately without compromising their integrity. He plays with words and manipulates facts for a living. He’s an attorney…..

• shoobiedoobin - Dec 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

This would be true if Eliotte Friedman specifically said “you have to answer yes or no”. He didn’t hint, either-he flat out said those are the rules. Yes or no. All he did was what he was asked. He’s guilty of some things to this point but not this.

6. shoobiedoobin - Dec 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

true but*

whoops

7. sportsfan69 - Dec 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Right now, Bill Daly is calling Donald Fehr. Now, we know why there not talking.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches