Dec 21, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Team Canada won’t have Charles Hudon for the upcoming World Junior Championships in Russia. The Chicoutimi forward and Montreal draft pick is unable to play due to a back injury and has been replaced by Prince Albert’s Mark McNeill.
Said head coach Steve Spott: “We met with Charles and, obviously, had to make a tough decision, one that’s devastating to him, and one that, unfortunately, we had to make, but, ultimately, you can’t go into an event like this with players that aren’t up to 100 per cent.”
Hudon tweeted he was “deeply disappointed” he couldn’t participate but wished his teammates good luck.
McNeill was selected 18th overall by the Blackhawks in the 2011 draft.
Canada will open the tournament on Dec. 26 against Germany.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63