Dec 21, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Most of the time, top Canadian players are busy during the Spengler Cup, but with the lockout dragging on — well, they got some free time.
With that in mind, Hockey Canada unveiled a stacked roster for the upcoming tournament.
Matt Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Sam Gagner, Tyler Seguin, and Ryan Smyth will be leading the Canadian’s attack. Defensively, the squad will feature Cam Barker, Jason Demers, and Carlo Colaiacovo. Canada’s netminders will be Devan Dubnyk and Jonathan Bernier.
Doug Shedden will be the team’s head coach after three stints as an assistant coach in this tournament from 2009-11. Shedden is a retired player who had 325 points in 416 NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hockey Canada pointed out that the squad will feature two former Olympic gold medalists (Smyth and Bergeron) and 11 players who have served on Team Canada during one or more World Championships.
The six-team tournament will take place from Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)