Dec 21, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Most of the time, top Canadian players are busy during the Spengler Cup, but with the lockout dragging on — well, they got some free time.
With that in mind, Hockey Canada unveiled a stacked roster for the upcoming tournament.
Matt Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Sam Gagner, Tyler Seguin, and Ryan Smyth will be leading the Canadian’s attack. Defensively, the squad will feature Cam Barker, Jason Demers, and Carlo Colaiacovo. Canada’s netminders will be Devan Dubnyk and Jonathan Bernier.
Doug Shedden will be the team’s head coach after three stints as an assistant coach in this tournament from 2009-11. Shedden is a retired player who had 325 points in 416 NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hockey Canada pointed out that the squad will feature two former Olympic gold medalists (Smyth and Bergeron) and 11 players who have served on Team Canada during one or more World Championships.
The six-team tournament will take place from Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)