Dec 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres organization has really embraced the use of technology – particularly iPads – for their “Sabres University” program, but as the team’s Web site points out, it’s not for fun stuff like playing “Angry Birds.”
Instead, the iPads run a specialized coaching “GamePlan” app that acts as the club’s first electronic textbook.
“We have all the security on here so they can’t surf the internet, download apps or music. Everything is hockey specific,” Sabres staffer Scott Schranz said. “I remember when we told all the players they were getting iPads, and they all got pretty excited about it. Then we had to remind them it was for work, not for fun.”
Lame. Couldn’t they at least let them boot up Spotify/Pandora* so they can listen to some sweet tunes while learning?
Either way, the Sabres are really taking advantage of the technology to try to teach their up-and-comers. They’re also keeping track of who’s using it.
“We track every player that takes out and returns their iPad,” Schranz said. “There’s also a built-in reporting system in the app. I can go in and look at how many times a player has logged into it, how many times they’ve reviewed a video clip, how many times they’ve downloaded video or how many times they’ve looked at the documents. We are easily able to monitor who’s using the program and who isn’t.”
Overall, it’s pretty cool and interesting, even if the Sabres seem like they’re being totally uptight about how fun the Internet can be. No LOL Cats, really?
* – The kids still use Spotify and/or Pandora, right?
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)