Dec 21, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
The NHLPA has wrapped up voting to authorize the union’s executive board to file a disclaimer of interest should it so choose.
If a disclaimer of interest is ultimately filed (the board reportedly has until Jan. 2 to decide), it’s unclear how it may affect the stalled CBA negotiations.
According to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, it won’t help.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly told the Ottawa Sun yesterday. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
On the contrary, the players are hoping the threat of dissolving the union, or actually dissolving it, will pressure the league to move off some of its positions in order to get a deal done.
The league has already canceled games through Jan. 14, and there are indications the next cancellation could be the season in its entirety.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)