Dec 21, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
The NHLPA has wrapped up voting to authorize the union’s executive board to file a disclaimer of interest should it so choose.
If a disclaimer of interest is ultimately filed (the board reportedly has until Jan. 2 to decide), it’s unclear how it may affect the stalled CBA negotiations.
According to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, it won’t help.
“It makes it more difficult,” Daly told the Ottawa Sun yesterday. “It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
On the contrary, the players are hoping the threat of dissolving the union, or actually dissolving it, will pressure the league to move off some of its positions in order to get a deal done.
The league has already canceled games through Jan. 14, and there are indications the next cancellation could be the season in its entirety.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 12
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 8
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 34
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (34)