Dec 21, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
The question of how united the players and owners really are behind the union and NHL respectively has often been raised.
Now it appears apparent that the players are speaking as one — at least when it comes to granting the union the authority to dissolve.
A mere 22 out of 728 players voted against giving the NHLPA board the power to file a disclaimer of interest, according to ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun. On top of that, Sportsnet’s John Shannon pointed out that the turnout was over 90%. This comes roughly two weeks after the CBA talks broke down.
The results don’t come as a surprise, given that initial reports used the word overwhelming to describe the margin in which the players voted in affirmative. Even before that, Detroit’s Daniel Cleary predicted that “99.8%” of players would vote in favor.
Still, getting hard numbers cements those assertions.
It remains to be seen if the union will actually go through and file a disclaimer of interest, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
Meanwhile, the NHLPA and NHL aren’t expected to meet this weekend.
May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
When asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit against Pittsburgh, he said “probably not.”
May 23, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
“That’s the way he plays.”
May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It would cost them $24 million over 14 years.
May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Cue the buyout speculation.
May 23, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Will he be challenging Ryan Miller for it?
May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The home of the Oilers’ AHL affiliate.
May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
He’s frustrated nothing got done in Calgary.
May 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The big unveiling will be on June 4.
May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
He constructed the silver medal-winning team at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
May 23, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
“It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”
May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
“(Gillis’) fault all the way.”
May 23, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Additionally, Chicago will play Detroit and the Kings will host the Sharks.
May 23, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links
May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
They rank first and second in shorthanded goals in the 2013 playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
It initially made it look like he suffered an injury.
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Trent Whitfield has now been on the wrong end of history twice.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 15
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 11
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 25
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 20
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement