Dec 21, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
The question of how united the players and owners really are behind the union and NHL respectively has often been raised.
Now it appears apparent that the players are speaking as one — at least when it comes to granting the union the authority to dissolve.
A mere 22 out of 728 players voted against giving the NHLPA board the power to file a disclaimer of interest, according to ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun. On top of that, Sportsnet’s John Shannon pointed out that the turnout was over 90%. This comes roughly two weeks after the CBA talks broke down.
The results don’t come as a surprise, given that initial reports used the word overwhelming to describe the margin in which the players voted in affirmative. Even before that, Detroit’s Daniel Cleary predicted that “99.8%” of players would vote in favor.
Still, getting hard numbers cements those assertions.
It remains to be seen if the union will actually go through and file a disclaimer of interest, but they reportedly have until Jan. 2 to decide.
Meanwhile, the NHLPA and NHL aren’t expected to meet this weekend.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)