Dec 21, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
The silence continues as we creep towards the mid-January deadline to save the season.
The expectation is that the CBA talks will not resume this weekend, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. The negotiations have been essientally stalled since the dramatic collapse of the players-owners meetings on Dec. 6.
Federal mediators were brought in, but their presence failed to jump start the process. Instead, the biggest news on the CBA front is that the players have overwhelmingly voted to authorize the union’s executive board to file a disclaimer of interest. The NHLPA reportedly has until Jan. 2 to make such a filing, if they chose to do so at all.
Such a move could put pressure on the league to offer a new compromise, although NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly previously argued that it “can’t be helpful to the process in such a short time frame.”
But hey, if you need a silver lining, the NHLPA has expressed a willingness to work through the holidays. So, there’s that…
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)