Dec 21, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
Matt Hendricks would label himself as “just your average Joe in the league,” so he wasn’t expecting an invitation to the USO Holiday Tour. When he was asked, he accepted the invitation even though he wasn’t sure how much of a difference he could make.
“But being there, being able to meet our servicemen and women and hear their stories, they showed so much appreciation and thanks to me,” Hendricks said, according to the Washington Post. “It made me think, ‘Man this is crazy. These troops are thanking me when I just want to thank them.’”
Hendricks’ father is a former Marine and he’s done charity work with the military. Still, meeting troops overseas was a different and “extremely humbling” experience for him.
“When you actually get there and you set foot on that soil, you see how they’re living, what the conditions are and what they’re doing day-by-day, the stresses and the hardships those levels of appreciation somehow go higher,” Hendricks said.
Hendricks was joined by Kellie Pickler, Ilza Shlesinger, and Washington Nationals pitchers Craig Stammen and Ross Detwiler. The latter of which bailed on his honeymoon to participate in the tour.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)