Dec 21, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
After Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and US President Barack Obama weighed in on the lockout, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie had some harsh things to say about the NHL’s management, according to the Bergen Record
“This is the third time this has happened in recent memory,” Christie said, referring to the 1994-95 and 2004-05 lockouts, as well as the ongoing one. “You know, that’s bad management.”
Christie worries about the impact that the lockout is having on the downtown Newark and on the New Jersey Devils, given their recent financial difficulties.
The team had some issues with overdue loans, but they reportedly reached a deal on the matter in early September that would allow owner Jeff Vanderbeek to maintain control of the Devils for at least two more years.
Forbes recently valued the Devils at $205 million, which was good enough for 19th place in the league and roughly one-fifth the value of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)