Dec 21, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
“You’ve always been proud to say you’re an NHL player, to tell people that you play for the NHL. I play in the NHL,” Doan said. “I think now it’s getting to the point where you’re losing some of that pride because it’s been tarnished so much. You care so much about the sport you want it to be doing well. Obviously we have to find a way to get this going.”
That’s coming from a man who has stuck with the Phoenix Coyotes for years during their ownership turmoil and ultimately decided to re-sign with them over the summer. He’s also repeatedly expressed his optimism about the franchise’s future in Arizona.
The good news for Doan is that Greg Jamison’s prospective ownership group is set to sign the Jobing.com Arena lease deal with the City of Glendale. Doing so will push Jamison that much closer to acquiring the team from the NHL. If the 2012-13 campaign is saved, then the Coyotes might not have to wait long to begin the process of making hockey work in the desert under the umbrella of a clearer management situation.
That’s a battle he’d probably much rather be fighting.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)