Dec 21, 2012, 11:27 PM EST
“You’ve always been proud to say you’re an NHL player, to tell people that you play for the NHL. I play in the NHL,” Doan said. “I think now it’s getting to the point where you’re losing some of that pride because it’s been tarnished so much. You care so much about the sport you want it to be doing well. Obviously we have to find a way to get this going.”
That’s coming from a man who has stuck with the Phoenix Coyotes for years during their ownership turmoil and ultimately decided to re-sign with them over the summer. He’s also repeatedly expressed his optimism about the franchise’s future in Arizona.
The good news for Doan is that Greg Jamison’s prospective ownership group is set to sign the Jobing.com Arena lease deal with the City of Glendale. Doing so will push Jamison that much closer to acquiring the team from the NHL. If the 2012-13 campaign is saved, then the Coyotes might not have to wait long to begin the process of making hockey work in the desert under the umbrella of a clearer management situation.
That’s a battle he’d probably much rather be fighting.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)