Dec 21, 2012, 11:27 PM EST
“You’ve always been proud to say you’re an NHL player, to tell people that you play for the NHL. I play in the NHL,” Doan said. “I think now it’s getting to the point where you’re losing some of that pride because it’s been tarnished so much. You care so much about the sport you want it to be doing well. Obviously we have to find a way to get this going.”
That’s coming from a man who has stuck with the Phoenix Coyotes for years during their ownership turmoil and ultimately decided to re-sign with them over the summer. He’s also repeatedly expressed his optimism about the franchise’s future in Arizona.
The good news for Doan is that Greg Jamison’s prospective ownership group is set to sign the Jobing.com Arena lease deal with the City of Glendale. Doing so will push Jamison that much closer to acquiring the team from the NHL. If the 2012-13 campaign is saved, then the Coyotes might not have to wait long to begin the process of making hockey work in the desert under the umbrella of a clearer management situation.
That’s a battle he’d probably much rather be fighting.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)