Dec 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
He may be sitting out the season, but apparently Bruins goalie Tim Thomas still cares what’s happening in the NHL.
From CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
According to several sources, the 38-year-old goaltender sat in on one of the NHLPA’s recent conference calls discussing the NHL lockout and related players association business. The two-time Vezina Trophy winner kept silent during the conference call, and Thomas has been holed up in his Colorado residence with his family while focusing on “friends, faith and family” after declaring this summer that he wanted to sit out the 2012-13 NHL season.
Assuming Thomas still plans to take the year off, he won’t get paid any of his $3 million salary this season (if there is one); however, the B’s will still be responsible for his $5 million cap hit. As such, they may try to trade him, possibly to a team that needs to get above the cap floor. (He’d look good lounging around at home in an Islanders jersey.)
Thomas is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)