Dec 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
He may be sitting out the season, but apparently Bruins goalie Tim Thomas still cares what’s happening in the NHL.
From CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
According to several sources, the 38-year-old goaltender sat in on one of the NHLPA’s recent conference calls discussing the NHL lockout and related players association business. The two-time Vezina Trophy winner kept silent during the conference call, and Thomas has been holed up in his Colorado residence with his family while focusing on “friends, faith and family” after declaring this summer that he wanted to sit out the 2012-13 NHL season.
Assuming Thomas still plans to take the year off, he won’t get paid any of his $3 million salary this season (if there is one); however, the B’s will still be responsible for his $5 million cap hit. As such, they may try to trade him, possibly to a team that needs to get above the cap floor. (He’d look good lounging around at home in an Islanders jersey.)
Thomas is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)