Dec 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
He may be sitting out the season, but apparently Bruins goalie Tim Thomas still cares what’s happening in the NHL.
From CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
According to several sources, the 38-year-old goaltender sat in on one of the NHLPA’s recent conference calls discussing the NHL lockout and related players association business. The two-time Vezina Trophy winner kept silent during the conference call, and Thomas has been holed up in his Colorado residence with his family while focusing on “friends, faith and family” after declaring this summer that he wanted to sit out the 2012-13 NHL season.
Assuming Thomas still plans to take the year off, he won’t get paid any of his $3 million salary this season (if there is one); however, the B’s will still be responsible for his $5 million cap hit. As such, they may try to trade him, possibly to a team that needs to get above the cap floor. (He’d look good lounging around at home in an Islanders jersey.)
Thomas is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)