Dec 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
He may be sitting out the season, but apparently Bruins goalie Tim Thomas still cares what’s happening in the NHL.
From CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
According to several sources, the 38-year-old goaltender sat in on one of the NHLPA’s recent conference calls discussing the NHL lockout and related players association business. The two-time Vezina Trophy winner kept silent during the conference call, and Thomas has been holed up in his Colorado residence with his family while focusing on “friends, faith and family” after declaring this summer that he wanted to sit out the 2012-13 NHL season.
Assuming Thomas still plans to take the year off, he won’t get paid any of his $3 million salary this season (if there is one); however, the B’s will still be responsible for his $5 million cap hit. As such, they may try to trade him, possibly to a team that needs to get above the cap floor. (He’d look good lounging around at home in an Islanders jersey.)
Thomas is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 0
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)