Dec 20, 2012, 9:18 PM EST
Hot 2013 NHL Draft prospect Seth Jones seems like he’s becoming quite accustomed to generating hype.
” … I think we’re the best team,” Jones said. “We have a lot of speed up front, we’re great defensively and we have good goaltending so I think we have all the pieces to win the gold medal.”
Masters points out that the United States failed to advance beyond the round robin stage in last year’s tournament, yet perhaps one could justify similar optimism for America’s squad as you would for Russia in the 2014 Olympics: everyone basically starts from Point A again.
Even so, some will say that he’s making bold statements – maybe even providing bulletin board material – but Jones seems nonplussed about such claims.
“That’s just confidence,” Jones said. “We can hang with any team here to be honest with you. There’s not much another team can do to really take us off our game.”
Either way, it’s tough not to love seeing such swagger from the son of former NBA journeyman “Popeye” Jones.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)