Season canceled through Jan. 14

Dec 20, 2012, 3:56 PM EST

Empty NHL arena Getty Images

We knew more game cancellations would be coming soon, and according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos (and oddly ESPN’s Bill Simmons), they’re coming today or tomorrow.

(Update: They came today.)

The schedule, currently scrapped through Dec. 30, will be canceled through Jan. 14.

So…where does that leave things?

Well, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said yesterday that the season’s point of no return was “sometime in mid-January.” It’s possible then that the next cancellation could be the season in its entirety.

On the bright side, Daly also said yesterday he expects there to be a season, to which NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr responded: “I certainly hope he’s right.”

A total of 625 regular-season games—50.8 percent of the season—were scheduled for October 11 through January 14.

107 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. id4joey - Dec 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM

All I can tell you right now is wait and see. Bergeron is standing by his “done deal”. And I wrote the season would start on or near Jan 10.

2. starsfan11 - Dec 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Just shut up already Joey. Not one single respected hockey writer from TSN, ESPN, or the Canadian newspapers have reported anything about this. I even emailed James Mirtle and he said not true.

• id4joey - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

starsfan11, James who? I just got off the phone with Bergeron. I’ve know him since he starting coaching minor hockey in Montreal. He said “Done deal!”. James Mirtle my a$$..

id4joey
      Dec 19, 2012, 9:40 PM EST

mp1131211
      Dec 19, 2012, 9:56 PM EST

3. kiopta1 - Dec 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

It’s the train wreck that doesn’t end much like what the House just did to America.

4. omniusprime - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Excellent news that more games have been cancelled!!! Maybe the NHL can bring in Crybaby Boehner who will come up with a Plan BS for ending the strike the way he didn’t for helping America not go over the fiscal cliff. I know, the Mayan apocalypse warning was for the NHL ending!

Just too funny how incompetent the NHL negotiators have been. Hopefully they’ll keep up their good work so that we’ll all enjoy the great news that the whole NHL season is cancelled.

Na na na na, Na na na na, Hey-ey Goodbye!!!

5. dannythebisforbeast - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Who cares their greed and unabashed disrespect of the fans has tuned me out. Sure I’ll watch on TV. the only game I will go to if there is a season that is would be a clinching game of the stanley cup. Other than that my money is staying in my pocket

6. starsfan11 - Dec 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Joey

Again, not one single person is reporting the same thing as your boy, Bergeron. If there was a “done deal” it would be leaked out already.

• id4joey - Dec 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

You can look at it that way. But then it wouldn’t be a scoop. I know this guy personally, he hasn’t always done things with great intelligence, which one time cost him his job as head coach of the NY Rangers. However, he is a straight shooter and would not BS about this. So I’m sticking by his words. Call it hope. At least it’s something to hold on to.

• sportsfan69 - Dec 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Conrade Joey,

Thanks for the information. To the haters out there, No Negative Ways Please!

7. ksctychiefs - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

jan 14th??!!…..2014?….or 2015?….one sure thing is that this season needs a fork stuck in it …it’s done!!….

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches