Dec 20, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
One of Team USA’s best forwards will be at the 2013 World Junior tournament for the long haul.
That’s the word out of Montreal on Thursday — La Presse reports Habs GM Marc Bergevin told USA Hockey’s Jim Johansson he wouldn’t pull Alex Galchenyuk off the American team should the NHL lockout end.
The World Junior tournament runs through Jan. 5.
Galchenyuk, 18, was taken third overall by Montreal at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and has been on a tear for OHL Sarnia this season, ranking second in the league in points (61) and tied for first in goals (27).
He’s pegged to be a major offensive star at the upcoming tourney in Ufa, Russia — that said, he’s also been pegged as a candidate to make Montreal’s opening-day roster.
(Should there be an opening day, of course.)
In August, Bergevin said it would be “difficult” for Galchenyuk to make the NHL this year — largely because he missed almost all of last season with a torn ACL — but the prized rookie would be given an invite to training camp.
Of course, Bergevin said this prior to Galchenyuk tearing apart the Ontario League.
In his last game with Sarnia prior to joining the American team, “Gally” scored five points (including a hat trick) in a win over Kingston, leading some to speculate that — if the NHL resumes action soon — Galchenyuk might have played his final game at the junior level.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)