Dec 20, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres will reportedly keep Mikhail Grigorenko — the 12th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — in junior for the remainder of this season, according to Le Journal de Quebec.
Le Journal learned of the decision from Ray Cloutier, play-by-play man for the Quebec Remparts, Grigorenko’s QMJHL club.
Cloutier tweeted that a “reliable source” claimed the plan was to keep the talented Russian in junior for the full season, rather than have him play with the Sabres if (when?) the NHL season gets underway.
If the report checks out, it’ll be a surprising decision to say the least.
Grigorenko — who once challenged Nail Yakupov as the top prospect for the ’12 draft — is a dynamic talent with NHL-ready size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds).
He also made it clear at Buffalo’s July prospects camp his goal for this season is to play for the Sabres.
“Make the NHL,” he said of his plans for 2012-13. “I’m getting stronger and on the ice I feel more comfortable.”
Grigorenko’s done all he can to make good on that goal. He currently leads Quebec in scoring with 29G-21A-50PTS — fifth overall in the league — and was recently named to Team Russia for the upcoming World Junior championships.
What’s more, Buffalo doesn’t have much depth at center.
Grigorenko has drawn comparisons to famous Russian center Alexander Yakushev — a star from the 1972 Summit Series — so it stands to reason he could be in line for minutes with Buffalo…you know, assuming he gets the chance.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)