Dec 20, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
When Tim Erixon all but forced a trade from the Flames to the Rangers last year, he figured he’d get a rough ride the first time he played in Calgary.
Erixon figured right.
On Oct. 23 in a 3-2 Rangers win, Flames fans jeered Erixon throughout the contest — yet Erixon, now a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets, says he enjoyed the atmosphere.
“The guys in the room were joking with me, even on the ice. I was behind our net with the puck and Henrik Lundqvist just looked at me and smiled. We both laughed about it.”
Even though the Calgary game was just Erixon’s fifth NHL contest (he’s only appeared in 18 all told), the 21-year-old has experienced plenty since being drafted 23rd overall at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
He’s been traded twice — once to New York, then to Columbus as part of the Rick Nash deal — and has played for a myriad of teams: the Rangers, Skelleftea AIK (Swedish league), Connecticut Whale (AHL), the Swedish National side (at the 2010 WJC and 2011 World Championship) and now, the Springfield Falcons, Columbus’ AHL affiliate.
Now settled, Erixon says he’s glad to have laded with the Blue Jackets organization.
“I think this is going to be a good spot for me,” Erixon said. “It’s a young team with a lot of competition on defense, so that’s good.
“We’re going to be a good team.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (95)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)