Dec 20, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Filip Forsberg will captain Team Sweden at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.
Forsberg, 18, is one of six returnees from last year’s gold medal-winning side, the first Swedish team to win a WJC title in 31 years.
Taken 11th overall by Washington at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Forsberg has enjoyed great success this season playing for Leksand of the Swedish second division, scoring 9G-10A-19PTS in 22 games.
Given the mass influx of locked-out NHLers in the Allsvenskan, Forsberg’s production is impressive — he’s one of the top scorers on Leksand despite being the youngest player on the roster.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 27
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)