Dec 20, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Filip Forsberg will captain Team Sweden at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.
Forsberg, 18, is one of six returnees from last year’s gold medal-winning side, the first Swedish team to win a WJC title in 31 years.
Taken 11th overall by Washington at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Forsberg has enjoyed great success this season playing for Leksand of the Swedish second division, scoring 9G-10A-19PTS in 22 games.
Given the mass influx of locked-out NHLers in the Allsvenskan, Forsberg’s production is impressive — he’s one of the top scorers on Leksand despite being the youngest player on the roster.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)