Dec 20, 2012, 10:49 AM EST
Filip Forsberg will captain Team Sweden at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.
Forsberg, 18, is one of six returnees from last year’s gold medal-winning side, the first Swedish team to win a WJC title in 31 years.
Taken 11th overall by Washington at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Forsberg has enjoyed great success this season playing for Leksand of the Swedish second division, scoring 9G-10A-19PTS in 22 games.
Given the mass influx of locked-out NHLers in the Allsvenskan, Forsberg’s production is impressive — he’s one of the top scorers on Leksand despite being the youngest player on the roster.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)