Dec 20, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Filip Forsberg will captain Team Sweden at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.
Forsberg, 18, is one of six returnees from last year’s gold medal-winning side, the first Swedish team to win a WJC title in 31 years.
Taken 11th overall by Washington at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Forsberg has enjoyed great success this season playing for Leksand of the Swedish second division, scoring 9G-10A-19PTS in 22 games.
Given the mass influx of locked-out NHLers in the Allsvenskan, Forsberg’s production is impressive — he’s one of the top scorers on Leksand despite being the youngest player on the roster.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 0
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 31
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21