Dec 19, 2012, 5:38 PM EST
It’s been tough to find real optimistic talk about the season possibly happening from those on either side of the lockout. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly changed that up today.
On an appearance with Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman laid it out simply for Daly:
Friedman: “‘I hope so’ is not allowed to be an answer to this question or ‘I want to believe so’ is not an answer to this question. Yes or no: Do we have a season?”
Put on the spot? Sure, but the question was qualified pretty clearly and, let’s face it, the league isn’t one to make statements like that all willy-nilly.
Then again… If you’re put on the spot like that and know full well the fans, players, arena workers, and everyone else who’s sweating this lockout out are holding out hope games will be played, are you going to answer “No!” to that question? Not likely.
With a mid-January “drop dead” date now in the picture, here’s to hoping Daly is right about this.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)