Dec 19, 2012, 5:38 PM EST
It’s been tough to find real optimistic talk about the season possibly happening from those on either side of the lockout. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly changed that up today.
On an appearance with Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman laid it out simply for Daly:
Friedman: “‘I hope so’ is not allowed to be an answer to this question or ‘I want to believe so’ is not an answer to this question. Yes or no: Do we have a season?”
Put on the spot? Sure, but the question was qualified pretty clearly and, let’s face it, the league isn’t one to make statements like that all willy-nilly.
Then again… If you’re put on the spot like that and know full well the fans, players, arena workers, and everyone else who’s sweating this lockout out are holding out hope games will be played, are you going to answer “No!” to that question? Not likely.
With a mid-January “drop dead” date now in the picture, here’s to hoping Daly is right about this.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)