Dec 19, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
It’s been tough to find real optimistic talk about the season possibly happening from those on either side of the lockout. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly changed that up today.
On an appearance with Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman laid it out simply for Daly:
Friedman: “‘I hope so’ is not allowed to be an answer to this question or ‘I want to believe so’ is not an answer to this question. Yes or no: Do we have a season?”
Put on the spot? Sure, but the question was qualified pretty clearly and, let’s face it, the league isn’t one to make statements like that all willy-nilly.
Then again… If you’re put on the spot like that and know full well the fans, players, arena workers, and everyone else who’s sweating this lockout out are holding out hope games will be played, are you going to answer “No!” to that question? Not likely.
With a mid-January “drop dead” date now in the picture, here’s to hoping Daly is right about this.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)