Turris says Karpat-bashing article had “very inaccurate and untrue information”

Dec 19, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT

Kyle Turris Getty Images

You may recall yesterday when we shared some complaints Ottawa forward Kyle Turris made to the Globe and Mail about his time playing for Oulun Karpat of the Finnish league.

Among his protestations:

—- There was nothing to do in Oulun.
—- The travel was “horrendous,” with flights followed by long bus rides and too many stops on the bus rides.
—- The food was “awful” and the team ate at truck stops all the time.
—- Conversing with people was “so awkward. They don’t understand anything that you’re saying, staring at you confused.”

Well, try not to be shocked, but Turris has denied much of what was written in the article via the following statement on the Karpat website:

“I read an article in the Globe and Mail today regarding my experience in Oulu. It made me extremely upset that it was so negative, and that it had very inaccurate and untrue information. I really enjoyed my time in Oulu, and those who are around me know that. I want to make clear that the sole reason I left is because of personal reasons that required me to be home with my family. The entire Oulu organization treated me very well, and I feel terrible that people may now feel that I was not grateful to be a part of the organization. I know that I was very lucky to play for such an awesome organization that welcomed me with open arms and treated us very well. Everyone I met in Finland, the coaches, management, fans and people of Oulu were all very nice and made my time there a memorable one. I was also lucky to have great teammates, with whom I have made good friendships. For all this I am very thankful and wish the Karpat organization great success in the future.”

We said yesterday Turris may have been exaggerating his experience for comedic purposes, but it would be interesting to know what he deemed “very inaccurate and untrue information.” Did the team not eat at truck stops? Was the travel actually very comfortable? Was talking to people a breeze? Because there’s a difference between “very inaccurate and untrue information” and taken out of context or “hey, that was supposed to be off the record.”

The writer of the article, Jordan Winnett, told Puck Daddy the conversation was on the record.

Latest Posts
  1. Will winning trump revenge tonight?

Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT

Brian Boyle Carey Price AP

Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.

2. Neal ready to get first game vs. Penguins since trade ‘over with’

Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Patric Hornqvist faces Nashville as a visitor for the first time.

3. Trotman and Morrow era set to begin in Boston

Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

ZachTrotman AP

The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.

4. Blackhawks and Blues renew their Central Division rivalry

Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT

Ken Hitchcock Getty Images

A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.

5. Jackets’ Atkinson reveals damage

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

atkinson

Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.

6. Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start

Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

jonasgustavssonap AP

Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.

7. Ottawa tragedy ‘hit home’ for Bruins’ Julien

Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Claude Julien AP

The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.

8. Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers

Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Carey Price AP

The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.

9. Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier

Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

Anthems will be played from Ottawa to the buildings in Montreal and Toronto.

10. Sharks look to bump slump against struggling Sabres

Oct 25, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Todd McLellan AP

San Jose hosts Buffalo in a Saturday matinee

11. Ruff: ‘Tonight was by far the best game we have played’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindy Ruff AP

Stars overcome controversial goal call for win in New Jersey.

12. Columbus’ Cam Atkinson avoids damage to eye after skate bloodies his face

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

atkinson

“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.

13. Report: Lawyer for Voynov’s wife says her take on incident isn’t ‘radically different’

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.

14. More like it? Avs crush Canucks

Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Florida Panthers v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.

15. Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Sabers Ducks Hockey AP

Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive