Dec 19, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
You could say the Rangers have a gem of a defenseman in Ryan McDonagh. What would you say if they had another blue liner just like him waiting in the wings?
That seemingly unfair possibility is true if one high-ranking member of the organization is right about the team’s 2012 first-round pick Brady Skjei as Katie Strang of ESPN-New York reports.
“I think that’s a fair comparison,” Rangers assistant general manager Jeff Gorton said. “He’s a tremendous skater, he has size and a lot of potential.”
That size comes from an 18 year-old who is 6’3″ and 200 pounds and his skating ability and speed is what makes him a likely member of this year’s Team USA World Junior Championships squad. With this year’s tournament in Russia on the larger, international-sized ice sheet, Skjei’s abilities will be put to the test in a big way.
For now, Skjei has his time with the University of Minnesota and playing for his country to worry about before potentially hitting Broadway.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
That didn’t take long.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Plus, the Rangers have issues.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Coyotes hoping “it’s not long, long-term.”
Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Activated off IR, will face the Flames in Calgary tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
Helped the Flames win their first and only Stanley Cup in 1989.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Game goes March 1 (on NBC).
Dec 12, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
Will get an MRI tomorrow.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
“We want black and blue hockey.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
He broke in as a 19-year-old during the 2011-12 campaign.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Former Oilers draftee had been with AHL Adirondack.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Buffalo’s in Ottawa to play the Sens tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)