Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
After a brief jaunt in Austria and some practice time in his home in Sweden, Tobias Enstrom told the Winnipeg Free Press that he’s getting comfortable in his second home – Winnipeg – in hopes that hockey will pick back up.
“This is my home now,” Enstrom said. “It feels good to be back. I miss the guys, too. To see some of the guys, be practicing with them, it felt like a good choice for me.”
Enstrom is one of the NHL’s more underrated blueliners. He’s put together two 50+ point seasons in five years and has never generated fewer than 32 in any campaign. The defenseman was limited to 33 points in 2011-12, but that’s after missing 20 contests.
While his overseas experiences were dicey, Enstrom is likely less anxious than most NHL players as the lockout rages on.
He was scheduled to make $4.5 million this season, but a new contract extension will pay him $5.75 million per season through 2017-18, so Enstrom’s future seems secure.
(Unless all contracts end up being null and void, of course.)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)