Dec 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
A couple of injury notes to pass your way…
Smid back in Oil Country
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid has left Czech Extraliga team Liberec after sustaining a knee injury.
Smid, 26, returned to Edmonton to have the knee examined, though the Oilers made it clear Smid was looked at by local doctors, not the team’s medical staff.
The injury has been diagnosed as a sprain and there is talk Smid could return to the Czech Republic following the holiday break.
Smid had discovered an offensive flair prior to the injury. In 22 games for Liberec he scored 2G-12A-14PTS — solid production, considering his single-season high for points in the NHL is 15.
Spurgeon getting better
Spurgeon strained his groin in early December and quickly returned to North America to rehab. His agent, Eustace King, told the Tribune-Review that if NHL training camps opened on Jan. 1, Spurgeon would be close to being ready for action.
The 23-year-old rearguard also hasn’t ruled out a return to Switzerland, though his contract does expire in January.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)