Dec 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
A couple of injury notes to pass your way…
Smid back in Oil Country
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid has left Czech Extraliga team Liberec after sustaining a knee injury.
Smid, 26, returned to Edmonton to have the knee examined, though the Oilers made it clear Smid was looked at by local doctors, not the team’s medical staff.
The injury has been diagnosed as a sprain and there is talk Smid could return to the Czech Republic following the holiday break.
Smid had discovered an offensive flair prior to the injury. In 22 games for Liberec he scored 2G-12A-14PTS — solid production, considering his single-season high for points in the NHL is 15.
Spurgeon getting better
Spurgeon strained his groin in early December and quickly returned to North America to rehab. His agent, Eustace King, told the Tribune-Review that if NHL training camps opened on Jan. 1, Spurgeon would be close to being ready for action.
The 23-year-old rearguard also hasn’t ruled out a return to Switzerland, though his contract does expire in January.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)