Dec 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
A couple of injury notes to pass your way…
Smid back in Oil Country
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid has left Czech Extraliga team Liberec after sustaining a knee injury.
Smid, 26, returned to Edmonton to have the knee examined, though the Oilers made it clear Smid was looked at by local doctors, not the team’s medical staff.
The injury has been diagnosed as a sprain and there is talk Smid could return to the Czech Republic following the holiday break.
Smid had discovered an offensive flair prior to the injury. In 22 games for Liberec he scored 2G-12A-14PTS — solid production, considering his single-season high for points in the NHL is 15.
Spurgeon getting better
Spurgeon strained his groin in early December and quickly returned to North America to rehab. His agent, Eustace King, told the Tribune-Review that if NHL training camps opened on Jan. 1, Spurgeon would be close to being ready for action.
The 23-year-old rearguard also hasn’t ruled out a return to Switzerland, though his contract does expire in January.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 63
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 30
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination