Dec 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
A couple of injury notes to pass your way…
Smid back in Oil Country
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid has left Czech Extraliga team Liberec after sustaining a knee injury.
Smid, 26, returned to Edmonton to have the knee examined, though the Oilers made it clear Smid was looked at by local doctors, not the team’s medical staff.
The injury has been diagnosed as a sprain and there is talk Smid could return to the Czech Republic following the holiday break.
Smid had discovered an offensive flair prior to the injury. In 22 games for Liberec he scored 2G-12A-14PTS — solid production, considering his single-season high for points in the NHL is 15.
Spurgeon getting better
Spurgeon strained his groin in early December and quickly returned to North America to rehab. His agent, Eustace King, told the Tribune-Review that if NHL training camps opened on Jan. 1, Spurgeon would be close to being ready for action.
The 23-year-old rearguard also hasn’t ruled out a return to Switzerland, though his contract does expire in January.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)