Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Evander Kane provided the latest “what were you thinking?” moment of the lockout on Wednesday, posting a Twitpic of himself on the balcony of Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan Hotel while making a pretend phone call to boxer Floyd Mayweather.
The call was made on a custom phone.
The phone was made of stacks of money.
(Hundred dollar bills, to be precise.)
The picture caption read: “Hey @FloydMayweather pick up your phone cause I’m callin#imdifferent @jduppal”
From a timing perspective, Kane whipping out the cash phone couldn’t be worse. The Winnipeg Free Press points out that, in addition to the fact that numerous people have lost work and wages during lockout, it’s also close to the holidays — six days before Christmas, to be precise.
Kane’s lack of awareness might be stunning but, given the NHLPA’s history on the Twitter front, it isn’t especially surprising.
Since the lockout began, we’ve seen:
– Paul Bissonnette rave about his favorite seamstress at Barney’s New York
– Scottie Upshall and Brandon Prust passing along sunny vacation pics with the hashtag #lockoutproblems
Oh, there’s also those NHLers that openly complained about the hardships of having to play overseas during the lockout.
In the interest of fairness, we should point out not all NHLers have spent the lockout flaunting their wares. Jay Beagle was very open about the potential for financial distress given he’s got two mortgages. Of course, that means Jay Beagle owns two houses. You know what? Forget it.
Update: As several people have pointed out on Twitter, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Kane’s attire. Kudos, Evander, for repping the official blogger uniform of sweapants and sweatshirt — in Las Vegas!
Dec 21, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Buffalo suffered its third straight loss.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
Toronto has lost three straight games.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:42 PM EST
Will this be the worst season Edmonton has ever had?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Varlamov is expected to be back on Tuesday.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
Bartkowski received a game misconduct.
Dec 21, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
The Stars swapping goaltenders didn’t slow Edmonton.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
He had been playing with Patrick Kane and Kris Versteeg.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Hurricanes are getting close to full strength.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Will Calvin Pickard be sent to the minors once Varlamov is healthy?
Dec 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Rob Zepp makes NHL debut
Dec 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Collapsed on the team’s bench Saturday night.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Was fired by the Oilers Dec. 15.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The 33-year-old was recalled Friday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The Penguins forward was penalized twice for embellishment on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Torrey Mitchell and Tyson Strachan have been placed on IR
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re not impressed with how Bylsma and his staff were treated.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
He called it “no big deal”
Dec 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Had just one goal in eight games prior to the injury.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:18 AM EST
Christopher Tanev scored the overtime winner on his birthday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:33 AM EST
Vancouver reported it’s holding him out of the rest of the game for precautionary reasons.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10