Dec 19, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed today on Toronto radio that the point of no return for the cancelation of the season is “sometime in mid-January.”
Daly’s assertion is consistent with what happened after the 1994-95 lockout when a 48-game schedule started on Jan. 20. (Granted, the 2004-05 season wasn’t officially canceled until Feb. 16.)
Daly also said it was a “crap shoot” how the NHL recovers from yet another work stoppage:
“There’s nobody fooling anybody that what’s going on right now and the fact that we’re not playing hockey is a good thing for either the sport or the brand.”
Other highlights of the interview:
—- No talks between the NHL and NHLPA are scheduled.
—- Daly identified a defined benefit pension plan as well as a “far more robust revenue sharing system” (with NHLPA input) as things the players said they wanted and the league has agreed to.
—- Daly expects the players to vote “overwhelmingly” to authorize the NHLPA executive board to file a disclaimer of interest. However, that’s not the same as actually dissolving the union. (Translation: not a particularly big deal.) However, if the union does ultimately choose to file, it could “prolong any resolution.”
—- Daly said for the union to “suggest we have a 50-50 split is wrong” without first addressing issues like compliance buyouts and caps on escrow.
—- More games will probably be canceled before Christmas. (The schedule has already been canceled through Dec. 30.)
You can listen to the full interview here.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
After re-upping with Brad Stuart earlier.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
But, “If it is, it is.”
Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Both have over 100 games of NHL experience.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)