Dec 19, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Being an NHL player abroad during the lockout isn’t quite the “backpacking through Europe” experience some might believe it to be. Sure, Kyle Turris has noticeably had his issues in Finland, but for Andrew Cogliano in Austria the style of play and travel takes its toll.
Jordan Winnett of the Toronto Star hears from the Ducks forward who’s teamed up with Sam Gagner and Tyler Myers in Austria with Klagenfurter AC and he’s finding out how rough being a pro in a different place can be.
“It really does humble you,” says Cogliano. “I know when I go back I won’t be taking much for granted. I can see myself playing even harder now (in the NHL) and make sure I’m fighting for my job every game because we have it really good back home. We do things in the NHL that guys here wouldn’t even imagine.”
By that he means bus rides, overly physical play, and crazy fans singing and shouting. Hey, that sounds like how it used to be. Old time hockey!
In seven games with Klagenfurter, Cogliano has two goals and four assists while Gagner has 18 points in as many games.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)