Dec 18, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Add Kyle Turris to the growing list of NHLers who found life in Europe slightly less cushy than they were used to.
Speaking with the Globe and Mail, here are some of the complaints the 23-year-old Senators forward had about playing for Oulun Karpat of the Finnish league:
—- He hated the big ice.
—- There was nothing to do in Oulun, a city of 150,000 that Wikipedia calls “one of the northernmost larger cities in the world.”
—- The travel was “horrendous,” with flights followed by long bus rides and too many stops on the bus rides.
—- The food was “awful” and the team ate at truck stops all the time.
—- Conversing with people was “so awkward. They don’t understand anything that you’re saying, staring at you confused.”
Other than that, it was fantastic.
In fairness, Turris may have been exaggerating his Finnish experience for comedic purposes. Upon returning home he told the Ottawa Sun that “Oulu was awesome. The organization was great. They treated us really well. I was lucky to be put into a position where I was playing 20 minutes a game. It’s a great league, really competitive. Any team can win on any given night. It was fun and a great experience.”
In 21 games for Karpat, Turris racked up 19 points in 21 games.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT(Edit)
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT(Edit)
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT(Edit)
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT(Edit)
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT(Edit)
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT(Edit)
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT(Edit)
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT(Edit)
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT(Edit)
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT(Edit)
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT(Edit)
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT(Edit)
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT(Edit)
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT(Edit)
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT(Edit)
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)