Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
The ideal scenario is that the lockout ends soon and Justin Schultz makes his Edmonton Oilers debut within the next month or so. However, if he’s forced to play the entire season in the minors, he will likely break some records.
Oklahoma City Barons teammate Jordan Eberle recently tied Schultz for the AHL-lead in points, but because Eberle has been putting up unreal numbers recently rather than Schultz slowing down.
Schultz has 14 goals and 38 points in just 26 games and has only been held off the scoresheet three times. As CBC pointed out, he needs just seven more goals to surpass John Slaney‘s record for an AHL rookie defenseman.
Slaney also holds the record for most goals in a single season by an AHL blueliner at any stage of his career with 30 in 1999-2000. Schultz will shatter that record if he maintains his current pace.
He might even break Chris Snell’s record for most points by an AHL defenseman, but that would mean getting another 59 points in Oklahoma City’s final 50 games.
Either way, Schultz has only added to the hype surrounding him with his performance in the minors. Edmonton Oilers fans are likely to watch him with great interest when this lockout finally ends.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 26
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)