Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
The ideal scenario is that the lockout ends soon and Justin Schultz makes his Edmonton Oilers debut within the next month or so. However, if he’s forced to play the entire season in the minors, he will likely break some records.
Oklahoma City Barons teammate Jordan Eberle recently tied Schultz for the AHL-lead in points, but because Eberle has been putting up unreal numbers recently rather than Schultz slowing down.
Schultz has 14 goals and 38 points in just 26 games and has only been held off the scoresheet three times. As CBC pointed out, he needs just seven more goals to surpass John Slaney‘s record for an AHL rookie defenseman.
Slaney also holds the record for most goals in a single season by an AHL blueliner at any stage of his career with 30 in 1999-2000. Schultz will shatter that record if he maintains his current pace.
He might even break Chris Snell’s record for most points by an AHL defenseman, but that would mean getting another 59 points in Oklahoma City’s final 50 games.
Either way, Schultz has only added to the hype surrounding him with his performance in the minors. Edmonton Oilers fans are likely to watch him with great interest when this lockout finally ends.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)