Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
The ideal scenario is that the lockout ends soon and Justin Schultz makes his Edmonton Oilers debut within the next month or so. However, if he’s forced to play the entire season in the minors, he will likely break some records.
Oklahoma City Barons teammate Jordan Eberle recently tied Schultz for the AHL-lead in points, but because Eberle has been putting up unreal numbers recently rather than Schultz slowing down.
Schultz has 14 goals and 38 points in just 26 games and has only been held off the scoresheet three times. As CBC pointed out, he needs just seven more goals to surpass John Slaney‘s record for an AHL rookie defenseman.
Slaney also holds the record for most goals in a single season by an AHL blueliner at any stage of his career with 30 in 1999-2000. Schultz will shatter that record if he maintains his current pace.
He might even break Chris Snell’s record for most points by an AHL defenseman, but that would mean getting another 59 points in Oklahoma City’s final 50 games.
Either way, Schultz has only added to the hype surrounding him with his performance in the minors. Edmonton Oilers fans are likely to watch him with great interest when this lockout finally ends.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)