Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
The ideal scenario is that the lockout ends soon and Justin Schultz makes his Edmonton Oilers debut within the next month or so. However, if he’s forced to play the entire season in the minors, he will likely break some records.
Oklahoma City Barons teammate Jordan Eberle recently tied Schultz for the AHL-lead in points, but because Eberle has been putting up unreal numbers recently rather than Schultz slowing down.
Schultz has 14 goals and 38 points in just 26 games and has only been held off the scoresheet three times. As CBC pointed out, he needs just seven more goals to surpass John Slaney‘s record for an AHL rookie defenseman.
Slaney also holds the record for most goals in a single season by an AHL blueliner at any stage of his career with 30 in 1999-2000. Schultz will shatter that record if he maintains his current pace.
He might even break Chris Snell’s record for most points by an AHL defenseman, but that would mean getting another 59 points in Oklahoma City’s final 50 games.
Either way, Schultz has only added to the hype surrounding him with his performance in the minors. Edmonton Oilers fans are likely to watch him with great interest when this lockout finally ends.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 46
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)