Dec 18, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner, currently plying his trade with the AHL Marlies, will miss at least another week of action with concussion-like symptoms.
(Even though the club won’t say he’s suffered a concussion.)
That’s what Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins told the Toronto Sun on Tuesday, a few days after news broke that Gardiner suffered a head/neck injury on Dec. 8 against Rochester.
Eakins said that because of the Marlies’ schedule and upcoming AHL holiday break, Gardiner won’t be able to return to action anytime soon.
“The way the schedule has played out [three games in four days starting Wednesday in Cleveland], we have a certain medical protocol we have to follow with Jake,” Eakins explained. “We can’t sway from it. He hasn’t been on the ice, he has to get into a full contact practice and that’s just not going to happen the way our schedule is.
“He can’t play until we ramp him up in practice. And we play right after the break [Dec. 26 vs. Hamilton] so he can’t play that one.”
Gardiner could return for a pair of back-to-back games against Grand Rapids on Dec. 28-29, but would need to pass whiplash and/or concussion tests (not that he has a concussion.)
The Marlies are preaching caution in this situation — Gardiner is one of the Maple Leafs’ brightest prospects — but are likely pining to get him back in the lineup.
Gardiner has been an offensive force this season, tallying nine goals and eight assists in 22 games. The Leafs have high hopes for the 22-year-old who was acquired, along with Joffrey Lupul, from Anaheim in 2011 for François Beauchemin.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)