Dec 18, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner, currently plying his trade with the AHL Marlies, will miss at least another week of action with concussion-like symptoms.
(Even though the club won’t say he’s suffered a concussion.)
That’s what Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins told the Toronto Sun on Tuesday, a few days after news broke that Gardiner suffered a head/neck injury on Dec. 8 against Rochester.
Eakins said that because of the Marlies’ schedule and upcoming AHL holiday break, Gardiner won’t be able to return to action anytime soon.
“The way the schedule has played out [three games in four days starting Wednesday in Cleveland], we have a certain medical protocol we have to follow with Jake,” Eakins explained. “We can’t sway from it. He hasn’t been on the ice, he has to get into a full contact practice and that’s just not going to happen the way our schedule is.
“He can’t play until we ramp him up in practice. And we play right after the break [Dec. 26 vs. Hamilton] so he can’t play that one.”
Gardiner could return for a pair of back-to-back games against Grand Rapids on Dec. 28-29, but would need to pass whiplash and/or concussion tests (not that he has a concussion.)
The Marlies are preaching caution in this situation — Gardiner is one of the Maple Leafs’ brightest prospects — but are likely pining to get him back in the lineup.
Gardiner has been an offensive force this season, tallying nine goals and eight assists in 22 games. The Leafs have high hopes for the 22-year-old who was acquired, along with Joffrey Lupul, from Anaheim in 2011 for François Beauchemin.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)