Dec 18, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jay Beagle never thought it would come to this.
In fact, the gritty Capitals forward (and Dale Hunter favorite) was so confident there wouldn’t be a lockout that he and his wife recently bought a second house.
“I thought because hockey was getting so popular, the HBO thing, the fan bases, the Winter Classic… especially in the U.S. with people getting so excited about the sport,” Beagle told CSNWashington.com last week.
“So I honestly didn’t think the owners would lock us out. I didn’t think it was going to come to that…I thought the season was going to start on time.”
Beagle and his wife, a nurse, aren’t exactly crying poor, but nor are they in a position to hold out forever.
“We’re doing fine but obviously it’s not ideal to buy a house because now we have a house back home (in Calgary) too that we bought a couple years ago. Two mortgages on one salary now. It’ll get tight eventually so we need the season to start,” he said.
The undrafted 27-year-old signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract this summer.
Be nice to earn some of it probably.
Related: Consider for a moment Dale Weise
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 1
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights