Dec 18, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jay Beagle never thought it would come to this.
In fact, the gritty Capitals forward (and Dale Hunter favorite) was so confident there wouldn’t be a lockout that he and his wife recently bought a second house.
“I thought because hockey was getting so popular, the HBO thing, the fan bases, the Winter Classic… especially in the U.S. with people getting so excited about the sport,” Beagle told CSNWashington.com last week.
“So I honestly didn’t think the owners would lock us out. I didn’t think it was going to come to that…I thought the season was going to start on time.”
Beagle and his wife, a nurse, aren’t exactly crying poor, but nor are they in a position to hold out forever.
“We’re doing fine but obviously it’s not ideal to buy a house because now we have a house back home (in Calgary) too that we bought a couple years ago. Two mortgages on one salary now. It’ll get tight eventually so we need the season to start,” he said.
The undrafted 27-year-old signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract this summer.
Be nice to earn some of it probably.
Related: Consider for a moment Dale Weise
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)