Dec 18, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jay Beagle never thought it would come to this.
In fact, the gritty Capitals forward (and Dale Hunter favorite) was so confident there wouldn’t be a lockout that he and his wife recently bought a second house.
“I thought because hockey was getting so popular, the HBO thing, the fan bases, the Winter Classic… especially in the U.S. with people getting so excited about the sport,” Beagle told CSNWashington.com last week.
“So I honestly didn’t think the owners would lock us out. I didn’t think it was going to come to that…I thought the season was going to start on time.”
Beagle and his wife, a nurse, aren’t exactly crying poor, but nor are they in a position to hold out forever.
“We’re doing fine but obviously it’s not ideal to buy a house because now we have a house back home (in Calgary) too that we bought a couple years ago. Two mortgages on one salary now. It’ll get tight eventually so we need the season to start,” he said.
The undrafted 27-year-old signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract this summer.
Be nice to earn some of it probably.
Related: Consider for a moment Dale Weise
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)