Dec 18, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jay Beagle never thought it would come to this.
In fact, the gritty Capitals forward (and Dale Hunter favorite) was so confident there wouldn’t be a lockout that he and his wife recently bought a second house.
“I thought because hockey was getting so popular, the HBO thing, the fan bases, the Winter Classic… especially in the U.S. with people getting so excited about the sport,” Beagle told CSNWashington.com last week.
“So I honestly didn’t think the owners would lock us out. I didn’t think it was going to come to that…I thought the season was going to start on time.”
Beagle and his wife, a nurse, aren’t exactly crying poor, but nor are they in a position to hold out forever.
“We’re doing fine but obviously it’s not ideal to buy a house because now we have a house back home (in Calgary) too that we bought a couple years ago. Two mortgages on one salary now. It’ll get tight eventually so we need the season to start,” he said.
The undrafted 27-year-old signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract this summer.
Be nice to earn some of it probably.
Related: Consider for a moment Dale Weise
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 6
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)