Dec 18, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Jay Beagle never thought it would come to this.
In fact, the gritty Capitals forward (and Dale Hunter favorite) was so confident there wouldn’t be a lockout that he and his wife recently bought a second house.
“I thought because hockey was getting so popular, the HBO thing, the fan bases, the Winter Classic… especially in the U.S. with people getting so excited about the sport,” Beagle told CSNWashington.com last week.
“So I honestly didn’t think the owners would lock us out. I didn’t think it was going to come to that…I thought the season was going to start on time.”
Beagle and his wife, a nurse, aren’t exactly crying poor, but nor are they in a position to hold out forever.
“We’re doing fine but obviously it’s not ideal to buy a house because now we have a house back home (in Calgary) too that we bought a couple years ago. Two mortgages on one salary now. It’ll get tight eventually so we need the season to start,” he said.
The undrafted 27-year-old signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract this summer.
Be nice to earn some of it probably.
Related: Consider for a moment Dale Weise
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)