Dec 18, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Reign coach Jason Christie told the San Bernardino and Inland Empire Sun that Setoguchi left the team (and missed practice) for personal reasons. Setoguchi reportedly said he’s open to playing for Ontario again, although it won’t happen for at least 45 days.
The Minnesota Wild winger has been productive for the Reign, scoring four goals and 13 points with a +7 rating in 10 games.
His short-term team was playing well, too. Ontario currently leads the ECHL’s Pacific Division with an 18-6-1 record, including a 7-2-1 mark in the last 10 contests.
Considering that 45-day window and other factors, it wouldn’t be surprising if Setoguchi has played his last game in the ECHL.
Even so, the lockout’s been a solid coup for the ECHL overall. Theo Peckham, Scott Gomez, BJ Crombeen, Kyle Clifford, Ryan O’Byrne, Mike Stuart and Ryan Reaves are among the NHL players who spent at least a portion of time there.
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune clarifies the suspension…
Setoguchi, who turns 26 New Year’s Day, says it’s as simple as he decided not to play during the holidays and there was no incident that caused a suspension. He says it was announced as a suspension so this way the Reign doesn’t have to pay him but retains his rights in case he decides to come back if the NHL season is canceled.
“It’s not like I got suspended for doing something,” Setoguchi said. “[The coach] wants to keep me on the roster, but this way no one else can pick me up.”
So there you have it.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)