Dec 18, 2012, 11:08 AM EST
Amidst rumors of playing in Switzerland and/or Russia, Sidney Crosby flipped the script on Friday by appearing in a ball hockey game…in Ohio Township.
Where he played in goal.
And recorded a 4-0 shutout.
Stories surfaced on Twitter and Facebook late Friday and early Saturday that Crosby participated in a dek hockey game Friday at Dek Star, a rink in Ohio Township next to Interstate 279. Photos on Twitter showed Crosby dressed in goaltender gear. After an informal practice Monday at Southpointe, Crosby confirmed he moonlighted between the pipes.
“My buddy plays in the league there. I talked to him about playing,” Crosby said. “I played a lot of goalie in street hockey growing up and stuff. Just asked if he needed a goalie. He said sure and I came out. It was cool.”
Due to his equipment, the presence of hockey’s most recognizable figure was not known by those at the rink until late in the contest.
“I had all the [goaltending] gear on,” Crosby said. “I was talking to the ref once toward the end of the game and I think he recognized me.”
“My referee walked over just to kind of say, ‘Hey, you’re not the normal goalie. It’s about time they get a goalie.’ ” said Chris Evans, general manager of Dek Star. “Instead, he looked at him and he was like, ‘Holy [cow] that’s Sidney Crosby.’ “
I’m not all that familiar with the term “dek hockey” as us Canadians usually refer to it as floor hockey, or ball hockey, or street hockey. We also sometimes call napkins “serviettes,” if you’re curious.
Anyway, Crosby reportedly notched his shutout against a team called Flyers Suck (seriously, Puck Daddy has it) and, afterward, answered the obligatory question about fear of injury.
“It’s a hockey ball and I have ice hockey gear on. I’m not too worried about it,” he said. “I guess there’s always a chance. I wouldn’t take that risk if I thought it was a big one.”
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 3
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 6
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)