Dec 18, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
Chris Chelios can see himself as a bench boss.
That’s what the 50-year-old rearguard told the Detroit News this week, saying that coaching AHL Grand Rapids during the lockout has prepared him for a possible career change.
“I’m having a lot of fun,” Chelios said. “I’m enjoying being with the guys, with Blash [Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill] and the staff. It’s been a real good experience.”
Just two years removed from playing — he retired after playing seven games with Atlanta during the 2009-10 season — Chelios is now serving the Wings as an Adviser to Hockey Operations.
He’s worked in both a scouting capacity and public/community relations but, with the lockout in full effect, he’s now spending more and more time coaching Detroit’s young defense corps in the American league.
Many of the guys Chelios played against during his 26-year career are now head coaches themselves: Dan Bylsma, Joe Sacco, Kevin Dineen, Dave Tippett and Randy Carlyle, to name a few.
Chelios would love to get to the same heights as those coaches (Tippett and Bylsma have each won Jack Adams Awards) but knows he’ll need plenty of experience before getting there.
“One thing I’ve learned is you could be the greatest player of all time, but you really do need experience to coach,” Chelios said. “There’s a lot of stuff to learn, a lot of stuff you learn only through experience.
“It’s just the way it is. I like it. We’ll see.”
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)