Dec 18, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
Chris Chelios can see himself as a bench boss.
That’s what the 50-year-old rearguard told the Detroit News this week, saying that coaching AHL Grand Rapids during the lockout has prepared him for a possible career change.
“I’m having a lot of fun,” Chelios said. “I’m enjoying being with the guys, with Blash [Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill] and the staff. It’s been a real good experience.”
Just two years removed from playing — he retired after playing seven games with Atlanta during the 2009-10 season — Chelios is now serving the Wings as an Adviser to Hockey Operations.
He’s worked in both a scouting capacity and public/community relations but, with the lockout in full effect, he’s now spending more and more time coaching Detroit’s young defense corps in the American league.
Many of the guys Chelios played against during his 26-year career are now head coaches themselves: Dan Bylsma, Joe Sacco, Kevin Dineen, Dave Tippett and Randy Carlyle, to name a few.
Chelios would love to get to the same heights as those coaches (Tippett and Bylsma have each won Jack Adams Awards) but knows he’ll need plenty of experience before getting there.
“One thing I’ve learned is you could be the greatest player of all time, but you really do need experience to coach,” Chelios said. “There’s a lot of stuff to learn, a lot of stuff you learn only through experience.
“It’s just the way it is. I like it. We’ll see.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)