Both sides claim they’re interested in negotiating

Dec 18, 2012, 6:09 PM EST

Sidney Crosby AP

While the CBA talks have amounted to a pin drop since Friday, reps from the NHL and NHLPA claim that they’d be open to negotiating.

On the NHL’s side, Bill Daly said that they’re “all ears,” according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.

Meanwhile, Ron Hainsey argued that the players have always been open to discussions, but he also provided the Associated Press with a big-picture assessment of the stalemate.

“Nothing scheduled at this point,” Hainsey said. “We’ve always said we’re open to sit down and meet any time, and now we’re kind of in a situation where no one wants to make the first move. Maybe there is a way of doing it. Communication the past couple of days has been quiet. Maybe there is some way to get it started with something similar to what we had (in New York).”

In the end, many probably agree with Sidney Crosby‘s thoughts, via Yohe:

“I shake my head and wonder why we’re even at this point,” Crosby said.

Pretty much.

1. mgp1219 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Isn’t it obvious that both sides are waiting to hear from id4joey before they make their next move? He’s the man with all the inside information, so he tells us. Too bad all of his “sources” have been wrong every time.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM

No no, he got caught posting “inside info” as his own when it was in fact copied and pasted from a well known source. He now gives credit to the actual source that he found online. But what he does now is reposts it here, and wants a pat on the back for copying and pasting it here first.

So desperate for attention and approval of internet strangers
      Scary stuff

• id4joey - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

bluechainman,haven’t seen you here since you were caught lying about the cup hen you told everybody the cup had not moved since June 7th.
        mrchainbluelightning – Dec 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM
        Liar, The Cup was not on display at ANY open house this past weekend.
        The Cup has not travelled ANYWHERE since June 7th.

You’re so busted….. LMAO and I was with the Cup last Friday, and when the Ducks won it.

• badintent - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

The right thing to do is for the Devils and the Rangers to play an exhibition game to raise $$ for Jersey and NY for Hurricane Sandy victims. The players will get great good will from the general public and the hockey fans will get some hockey. Play the gameoutside in Metlife Stadium for a huge gate, 80,000 fans. !

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Look at this lil kid thinking that since he copy and pasted someone elses work that nobody here can use it again. And if they do it is the bloggers here plagiarizing you.

YOU CAN”T BE PLAGIARIZED WHEN NOTHING YOU POSTED IS YOUR OWN WORK.

My god PHT Ban ID4JOEY already would yas?

YOUR COMMENTS ARE STOLEN FROM ANOTHER BLOGGER, WE ALREADY PROVED THAT.

BAN ID4JOEY he offers NOTHING

• id4joey - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Says the blue man who lied about the Cup not moving since June 7th. You have zero credibility. LOL! I see you have a lot of capital letters to offer. Nice! Keep clicking buddy! The more clicks on account of me, the less PHT is likely to band me.

• jaybertx - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

60% of the time he’s right every time…

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

He’s made with real bits of joey so you know he’s good.

2. acieu - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Copied off another site posted by a fan who did some research. Thought provoking???

PROFIT NOT REVENUE in US Dollars

NFL $984 Million
    EPL $513 Million
    MLB $496 million
    NBA-$207 million
    NHL $126 million of which 96% comes from 3 teams, 18 lost money 9 teams break even to meager profits.

• blomfeld - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Acieu – that 126 million earned was from a turnover of 3.3 billion, which equates to an “operating ratio” of 3.8%, which isn’t so bad in today’s economy … but as you note, the problem is that this figure is badly skewed in favor of just 3 x teams … most of the other 27 x teams are either “already” on life support, or they’re “standing by” for badly needed surgery … a few are treading water, but it’s not many …

3. cfm9814 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM

What a great group of businessmen these owners and players have become. “Let’s agree not to negotiate. That’s a good approach to getting our disputes resolved.” It seems the only thing they’ve both agreed on so far is that neither group cares about the customers who fund their enterprise: the fans. Hope they lose the entire season and more.

4. mp1131211 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Damnit- I’m almost starting to like Crosby. This lockout has got to end!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I’ll bite, and I’m just curious: I don’t get why any non-Flyers hockey fan doesn’t like Crosby. I hated him when he broke into the league and took dives nonstop, whined to the refs without a letter, etc. But since then he’s been nothing but the best hockey player of a generation. At this point what does he have to do to win your love?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

…but BE the best hockey player…., win gold for Canada more than once, blah blah blah

• mp1131211 - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Well, for starters, I am a flyers fan. So there’s strike one for ol’ Sid.

Secondly, Crosby’s glory is simply overblown. He’s good, but he’s not the star that the NHL is so obviously trying to market him as. Having a seething dislike for that diaper wearing, teet-suckling, cry baby on figure skates is more than just a simple reaction to his on-ice antics, its a statement of position against what the NHL is trying to do to its image. NHL needs to stop propping up fake stars and stop pulling BS marketing stunts like the Guardian Project, and start worrying about how to REALLY appeal to the masses if they want growth.

They should be embracing the things about hockey that make it fun and exciting to watch. Sid is good, but he’s no icon. In a decade, no one outside of fanatics will remember who he was.

• mp1131211 - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Honestly, I don’t like the Bruins at all, but they are incredibly entertaining to watch. I would rather watch Chara and Lucic any day over Crosby. They are simply riveting to watch. To me, those high intensity physical games are what I like about hockey.

5. blomfeld - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

SPECIAL AGENT CROSBY ?

As noted previously, apart from his FBI “styled” interviews, Sidney Crosby is actually a really decent guy who obviously knows what’s going on. And regardless of whatever you jealous haters might say, in my opinion he’s without a doubt a “Top 10″ forward which automatically puts him in the same conversation with other notables such as Pavel Datsyuk, Jeff Carter, Henrik Sedin and Dustin Brown. At any rate, I am now starting to empathize with Crosby and his colleagues. They’re being lead down a path of total destruction, all the while seemingly oblivious to the “double cross” of their traitorous leader Fehr. I’m sure they will see the light at some point ? But it’s looking more and more now that that will likely be too late ? … and that’s a shame.

And yet though it may be late in the day, I do feel that the players still have one remaining chance to end this madness before it’s too late. And that would be for Crosby and his peers to take matters into their own hands by immediately “eliminating” the Fehr brothers and then seeking a truce with Bettman and crew on the “best” possible terms. They’re going to lose some of what they previously had no doubt. However the alternative is a “total” loss of everything and no player is going to benefit from that. The players have fought a “good” fight and their resolve and conviction is to be commended. But there comes certain times when a fight just isn’t worth the cost and peace is the answer. I believe that “now” may be such a time for Crosby and his colleagues.

• sportsfan69 - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Maybe

• sportsfan69 - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM

The players have been betrayed by Fehr.

• woodstakes - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Your right blom… BUT only if the players feel like they have to hold out to show the owners that they are not afraid of losing a season or even a season+. If they feel like standing up now so that maybe the owners would actually be willing to negotiate in good faith upon the end of the next CBA. Perhaps they believe that these lockouts will just keep happening and if they fold now there is no reason for the ownership to do anything otherwise. Perhaps the players are doing it for themselves in part but maybe they are doing it for the young guys who just arrived and for that 15 yr old phenom that will be here in a few years. I don’t know the answer, if I did I’m guessing I would not be here talking to you guys I’d be there trying to make a difference. I guess none of us really know why the players don’t see this as money they will never receive or maybe they do and they just are willing to sacrifice that in order to drive home the point that a lockout does not equal them getting everything they want. If they lockout then they better be prepared to lose a whole season+ IF they don’t come to the table with real offers and an openness to negotiate.

• thailer35 - Dec 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Dustin Brown and Jeff Carter are in the same category to you as Pavel Datsyuk and Sydney Crosby?

• blomfeld - Dec 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

you bet ! ;)

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

7. sportsfan69 - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Conrade Blomfeld,

You’ve been right on the money with the NHLPA’s self destruction. May I reveal your real name? Ernst Starvo Blofeld. You’ve been caught on film with Gary Bettman (Tov Kronsteen) and Gary’s personal secretary (Rosa Kleeb) plotting your next moves on the NHLPA.

• blomfeld - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Dear Comrade Sportsfan69 ! (Iron Cross 1st Class with Oak Leaf Cluster)

My friend, of course it’s important that “good times” are always the order of the day here. :) But with all kidding aside, I am serious about my concern that Fehr may not be “exactly” the person who the players think he is ? Right from the start in September, I dismissed this entire affair as nothing more than a “contrived” charade on the part of Bettman, designed to simply eliminate the initial part of the season and perhaps to “give it on the chin” a little to the players, etc. As for Fehr ? Well I viewed him as being nothing more than a bystander, or a “payed” patsy if you will. Just recently however, I’m now finding my previous “light-hearted” indifference to the whole thing being replaced by a very dark and ominous fear that something “below board” could indeed be going on here ? When you step back and look at things in their entirety, positively “everything” Fehr has done to date has been completely consistent with the total destruction of the NHLPA. Now marry that fact to the fact that Fehr is not a hockey fan … the fact that this will be his last contract before retirement .. the fact that the man is suspected of having personal financial troubles himself .. etc .. etc. Of course I can’t say any more than the next guy that I know what’s really going on here. However I’m now definitely sensing something very “ominous” with this business and I don’t like it …

8. ducksk - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

U have got to be kidding me. You all call yourselves hockey fans? U can hate Sid, bash him etc. facts are facts, like it or not. He is the face of the league and well deserved. He’s class, speaks like he’s educated, and you poor fools that hate him because he’s not on your team, too bad for you! Jealousy is for little children. Name a better player in the league the last 6 years? Who fills half empty stadiums when he’s in town just so real fans who appreciate his talent can say they saw him play?

• blomfeld - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I’m with you friend, as anyone who doesn’t agree that Crosby is a “Top 10″ forward must be a total idiot ! He, along with the likes of Pavel Datsyuk, Jeff Carter, the Sedin brothers and Dustin Brown, are the only reason this league hasn’t self-destructed years before !

9. malkinrulez - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Blomfeld love the iron cross with oak leaf cluster reference! Proper title would be Herr Lieutenant

• blomfeld - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Comrade Malkinrulez – I originally had you pegged as a member of the Red October “special action” brigade, however your recent submissions now have me baffled ? Could it be that you’re actually one of Admiral Canaris’s “deep cover” moles working in the Russian Ministry of Defense ? The audacity and yet the brilliance ! :)

10. id4joey - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

All, a meeting is eminent. Sources say they’re having issues reserving a conference room. It’s expected they will meet this week. Stay tuned. I’ll be back with updates as the story evolves.

11. acieu - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Joey: you can have the Canadian/Canadien rights to the stories!

12. sportsfan69 - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Herr Blomfeld,

Thank you for the award.

13. acieu - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

There is no doubt that Sid is the most famous dek hockey ball player in Western PA. I am sure when the referee noticed him it was because Sid was crying about a penalty call.

14. sportsfan69 - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Could this week be the end of the senseless carnage of the NHLPA?

15. sportsfan69 - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Could this week be the end of the senseless carnage of the NHLPA?

16. dinklespiel - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Hockey needs to go back to Canadian Cities where it can be appreciated for the sport it is, Canadian.

17. acieu - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Dickspeil:
    Yes take them all back to Canada and pay them CFL wages.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches