Dec 18, 2012, 7:35 PM EST
When asked about the lockout’s impact on the NHL, Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock reminded many of some of the sport’s darkest hours.
Specifically, he told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector that the sport might go the way of bowling.
“Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling,” Babcock said.
That comparison might bring back some bad memories from the last lockout.
Following the work stoppage, much was made about how the NHL’s ratings approached programming such as professional bowling (and a trivia show called “Stump the Schwab”) when the league aired games on ESPN.
On the other hand, some might wonder why Babcock chose to beat up on bowling.
For one thing, bowling has done an amusing job pumping up its “characters,” with players like Pete Weber embracing a pro-wrestling style (via Getty):
(That’s a lot of ‘tude right there.)
It’s relatively cheap to play and you can make “The Big Lebowski” and “Kingpin” references for some good chuckles
So, yes, the NHL should aim to avoid comparisons to fringe sports – but maybe everyone should give old bowling a break.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 33
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)