Dec 18, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
When asked about the lockout’s impact on the NHL, Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock reminded many of some of the sport’s darkest hours.
Specifically, he told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector that the sport might go the way of bowling.
“Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling,” Babcock said.
That comparison might bring back some bad memories from the last lockout.
Following the work stoppage, much was made about how the NHL’s ratings approached programming such as professional bowling (and a trivia show called “Stump the Schwab”) when the league aired games on ESPN.
On the other hand, some might wonder why Babcock chose to beat up on bowling.
For one thing, bowling has done an amusing job pumping up its “characters,” with players like Pete Weber embracing a pro-wrestling style (via Getty):
(That’s a lot of ‘tude right there.)
It’s relatively cheap to play and you can make “The Big Lebowski” and “Kingpin” references for some good chuckles
So, yes, the NHL should aim to avoid comparisons to fringe sports – but maybe everyone should give old bowling a break.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 44
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 38
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)