Dec 18, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
When asked about the lockout’s impact on the NHL, Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock reminded many of some of the sport’s darkest hours.
Specifically, he told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector that the sport might go the way of bowling.
“Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling,” Babcock said.
That comparison might bring back some bad memories from the last lockout.
Following the work stoppage, much was made about how the NHL’s ratings approached programming such as professional bowling (and a trivia show called “Stump the Schwab”) when the league aired games on ESPN.
On the other hand, some might wonder why Babcock chose to beat up on bowling.
For one thing, bowling has done an amusing job pumping up its “characters,” with players like Pete Weber embracing a pro-wrestling style (via Getty):
(That’s a lot of ‘tude right there.)
It’s relatively cheap to play and you can make “The Big Lebowski” and “Kingpin” references for some good chuckles
So, yes, the NHL should aim to avoid comparisons to fringe sports – but maybe everyone should give old bowling a break.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)