Dec 18, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
When asked about the lockout’s impact on the NHL, Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock reminded many of some of the sport’s darkest hours.
Specifically, he told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector that the sport might go the way of bowling.
“Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling,” Babcock said.
That comparison might bring back some bad memories from the last lockout.
Following the work stoppage, much was made about how the NHL’s ratings approached programming such as professional bowling (and a trivia show called “Stump the Schwab”) when the league aired games on ESPN.
On the other hand, some might wonder why Babcock chose to beat up on bowling.
For one thing, bowling has done an amusing job pumping up its “characters,” with players like Pete Weber embracing a pro-wrestling style (via Getty):
(That’s a lot of ‘tude right there.)
It’s relatively cheap to play and you can make “The Big Lebowski” and “Kingpin” references for some good chuckles
So, yes, the NHL should aim to avoid comparisons to fringe sports – but maybe everyone should give old bowling a break.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 1
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 12
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 53
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination