Turris bonded with Demers in Finland

Dec 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Kyle Turris Getty Images

Ottawa Senators forward Kyle Turris and San Jose Sharks defenseman Jason Demers developed quite the bromance playing for Kärpät in Finland’s SM-liiga, according to this Vancouver Province story.

“I didn’t even know him, but when I flew in and I watched the first game, he welcomed me and took me under his wing,” Turris said. “We give each other a hard time when we play each other and he said he’s going to fight me. I said I won’t be able to take him seriously, just looking at him.”

“He’s a big joker. He kept the mood light over there because it gets so dark. You get three or four hours of sun a day and it was minus-23 the last few days I was there. A chilly spot, but he made it a lot easier.”

Cute a hearty round of “Awws.”

Turris decided to leave the Finnish league earlier this week, but he seemed to cherish the time he spent there – predictable Italian food or not – and thinks the experience might give him an edge.

“It was great for staying in game shape and staying sharp,” Turris said. “If the NHL started now, I’d be much more ready and I hope to have a leg up on the other guys who didn’t go over to Europe. I’ll remember how much fun the hockey was and the experience of adapting to different food and lifestyle.”

With 19 points in 21 Finnish league games, he might just hit the ground running – if the lockout ends anytime soon.

Latest Posts
  1. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

2. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

3. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

4. Roy ‘not nervous about Xs and Os,’ says slumping Avs need to be better individually

Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Patrick Roy Patrick Roy

“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”

5. Hextall: ‘There’s not a lot out there’ to bolster depleted Flyers defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Flyers Draft Hockey AP

“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”

6. Dallas getting greener on D, but Ruff says issues are on him

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Lindy Ruff Lindy Ruff

“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”

7. Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.

8. Video: Hitch hammers the Blues: ‘This is a wake-up call’

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Getty Images

“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”

9. Report: Granlund extension in the works

Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mikael Granlund #64 of the Minnesota Wild skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on February 1, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(January 31, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.

10. PHT Morning Skate: Ovechkin has a mishap while curling

Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 7.23.57 AM

With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.

11. ‘Resilient’ Blue Jackets leave Sharks worried about defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”

12. Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record

Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT

St Louis Blues v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.

13. Wild’s Kuemper generates third shutout in fourth start of 2014-15

Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT

Darcy Kuemper AP

This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive