Dec 17, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Team USA’s chances of getting back into the medals at the World Junior tournament took a hit on Monday as the IIHF announced it would uphold forward Stefan Noesen’s 10-game suspension from the Ontario Hockey League.
Noesen, 19, was Ottawa’s first-round selection (21st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and pegged to be a key member of the American team for the upcoming tournament in Ufa, Russia.
Just one problem — on Dec. 8, Noesen was suspended 10 games for charging while playing for OHL Plymouth.
He’s since served three of the 10 games but, with the OHL on holiday break from Dec. 15-27, his suspension will still be ongoing when the WJC tourney begins on Dec. 26.
IIHF bylaws note that “player suspensions will apply to participation in both ice hockey and In-line hockey competitions irrespective of the competition in which the offense giving rise to the suspension occurred.”
Noesen was one of four Americans taken in the first round of the ’11 draft — J.T. Miller, Connor Murphy and Tyler Biggs were the others — and has been a solid contributor for the Whalers this season, leading the team in goals (17) while posting 26 points in 26 games.
The U.S. failed to medal at last year’s tournament and was dropped to the relegation round for the first time since 1999.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)