Lockout update: There isn’t one (No talks scheduled)

Dec 17, 2012, 12:23 PM EST

Gary Bettman, Bill Daly Getty Images

In yet another lockout non-update update, there are no talks scheduled between the NHL and NHLPA.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was vague when reached for comment by TSN/ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.

“We will continue to explore options for moving the process forward and we hope the Players’ Association is doing the same,” Daly said. “Time is obviously getting short.”

About that last part, the general consensus is that a season must start by mid-January. So while time is indeed getting short, it’s not quite out yet. Whether the union’s move towards dissolution (and the league’s legal response) will push the two sides together or obliterate the NHL as we know it, we’ll have to wait and see.

Related: NHL will argue contracts are null and void if union decertifies

1. matt8204 - Dec 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I was fed up with this on September 15th…now, between Hurricane Sandy and the school shooting last Friday, this stupid nonsense just doesn’t seem to matter anymore. If you told me that we’d never see an NHL game again, I’d probably just shrug and move on with my daily routine. There are far worse things that could happen, as we’ve seen all too often this year.

• lordfletcher - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Sure times arn’t great right now but for most, sports are a getaway from reality and a huge source of passion / way of life.

Do I think hockey is bigger than US or Global issues, heck no… but do I follow hockey more than politics, the price of gold, stock trends… sure do!

People need to remember this is businees for those involoved and us fans are just caught in the middle. They (owners and players) know we will be back, and sadly they are right.

I can easily go a year without the NHL but if we were talking long term, I would go nuts!

• id4joey - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Indeed! But you need not throw away everything you care about. What will the Americans do about gun control? The NRA has been known to hold pro-gun rallies close a the location, and shortly after such a horrendous, and senseless act. They better back off….. Do you hear that Mr. Heston?

• badintent - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Mr. Heston has been dead a long time, I think his meeting with Micheal Moore killed him with high blood pressure. Please refer to Mr. Ted Nugent.

2. bcsteele - Dec 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

This is one of my favorite pictures because I can just see Bettman saying “I don’t care if you think we should consider their counter offer, it’s not what I want!”

I only say that because am I the only one that thinks if Donald Fehr, Jeremy Jacobs, and Bettman would just go away we’d probably be playing hockey right now?

Hell let Daly and Steve Fehr figure it out…at least they were grown up about all this.

3. bekay19 - Dec 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I for one am looking forward to the cancellation of the season. Get it over with already!! I am sick and tired of millionaires/billionaires fighting over $$ and unfair labor rights .. give me a break. Everyone involved in this process should be ashamed of themselves and share a role in the leagues suicide mission.

• matt8204 - Dec 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Exactly. Unfair my !@#. I’ll tell you what’s unfair…that families of 26 people have to say goodbye to a loved one because of what happened on Friday. NHL owners and players= Biggest bunch of jerkoffs I’ve ever seen in my life.

• tatdue - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Then why the f’k do you keep taking the time to sign in to this site to leave comments? If you hate the NHL and all the players then you have absolutely no reason to be on this site at all, right? So how about you go to yahoo or anywhere else for that matter and find some like minded people to talk to and leave this site to the people that do care about the NHL and its players….I’m so sick of all of these so called fans that want the season cancelled already or that come here just to say they are never going to watch hockey again. If that’s how you people feel then just F’K OFF already and quit wasting yours and our (people that do care) time!….PLEASE….

• lordfletcher - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

@Matt

Why make the point of things in life being fair and have hockey and slaughtered children in the same sentence. What in life is fair? You can make a zillion comparisons

You are pathetic and your philosophy on life is counterproductive. I pity and offspring you may have brought into this world.

• badintent - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM

you’re right … again.The folks that thumbs down you have no life beyond hockey and trolling. Post it again just so they really get the point.

4. bricktop02 - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Hey Matt. That is two of the best post I read today. You are absolutely right on all points.

5. bhawksrule - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I really don’t see how the school shooting on Friday has any relevance whatsoever to this situation.
    Just because a senseless tragedy stole the lives of 26 innocent people doesn’t mean NHL players are jerkoffs (quoting matt8204 ) for trying to get the best deal for them, their families, and future players . So if there wasn’t a lockout right now and this tragedy happened, the players aren’t jerkoffs?

See how it has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything?

• matt8204 - Dec 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, they still are…but recent events just brings that fact into an even clearer light.

• zetaone - Dec 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

What about the children in Africa? I’d wager 26 children at least die per day in certain African countries because of guerrilla warfare, famine and poor medical care. Where is your outrage for them? Are their lives (or anyone else’s) not as valuable as those lost in any other tragedy?

If it takes ‘a tragedy’ for you to put things into perspective in your life, you’re a shallow and fickle person that will likely forget about it in a few months time anyway.

• blomfeld - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Zetazone – the UN estimates that on average approximately 25,000 children perish “daily” throughout the world because of starvation and famine … and yes, most of those deaths are occurring on the continent of “resource rich” Africa …

• blomfeld - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Matt8204 – Despite the fact that everything is “relative” in life and the universe, your point is nonetheless still valid friend …

6. cvgconstruction - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I think the press should just walk away, stop reporting more nothing. There is a whole groups of players either at the end of there career or the start of there NHL career that are going to be missed. As a die heart fan you start to grow tired of the league and there inability to move forward. Get back to me when there is some thing to talk about.

7. blomfeld - Dec 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Again friends I pose the question …

Just who do you think Fehr might be “really” working for ? ;)

8. buffalomafia - Dec 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

A bunch of millionares who get paid way to much for playing a kids game especially during a recession!

How much money do you really need?

Will fans be a bunch of dummies & pay for expensive tickets @ a $12.00 cup of beer?

9. chrisvegas - Dec 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I’m just frustrated with this whole mess. It is pathetic that it has gotten this far and that the fans have to endure another lockout. We the fans don’t deserve this. The NHL has no class and doesn’t give a crap about the fans. Hockey is my favorite sport and that fact is the only reason I put up with the NHL’s lockouts. If anyone ever created a league to compete with the NHL, I would be on board. The only reason I’ll watch the NHL again is because there isn’t a good alternative and I love hockey. That aggravates me because I the NHL knows this about their fans and they take advantage of us because they know we don’t have any good alternatives.

10. thedavesiknowiknow - Dec 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM

11. gbsoccer6 - Dec 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Most likely there will not be a season and the chances of having season next year are better but not great. If the season is canceled there will be no rush to fix things. Each side will run to the courts and stand on their end. There will be appeal after appeal and who knows when it will end. Its a worst case scenario, but as they prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

12. capsrockva - Dec 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM

just get the dam thing done, I don’t care how

13. jaybird22seven - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Buffalomafia I’m curious, who would you like to see get money from this sport of hockey? The owners of these hockey teams or the hockey players? Because that’s what it’s coming down to basically. I think personally either way this league is dead !!!!

14. sportsfan69 - Dec 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Donald Fehr has brought in a new Negotiator partner.

• blomfeld - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Comrade Sportsfan69 – Mike Meyers is hilarious and he’s a good man …

• sportsfan69 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Mike Meyers is a diehard Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

15. fortwaynekomets - Dec 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

DON’T FHER THE LOCKOUT, FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES!

16. xaf605 - Dec 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I agree matt at this point in the lockout does it really matter anymore?

17. phillyphanatic77 - Dec 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Since the end of the season and throughout the entire work stoppage I’ve held an irrational belief in the back of my mind that the two sides will eventually come to their senses, realize the irreparable damage they would do if another season is cancelled, and do what’s best for the league and the fans. I imagined that no commissioner or union head would ignore record revenue and unprecedented fan support in order to fight for the imaginary dollars earned in a season with no games. I ignored what my eyes and brain told me, as best I could, in hopes that my heart could provide an unseen, optimistic insight into this illogical lockout. For over a month common sense has told me that there’s no resolution on the horizon, but still I continued to naively convince myself that there’s no way the league could be dumb enough to destroy itself. Especially when the sides seem so close on so many issues. But as the owners and players sit around, twiddling their thumbs, awaiting the inevitable, I have lost what little faith I had in a 2012-2013 NHL season. I have finally accepted that there is no hope for hockey. I’ve come on PHT numerous times to argue who’s more at fault, owners or players, but I’ve finally had an epiphany… who cares! All that matters is neither side has done what’s necessary to keep the NHL viable, they both flushed a golden opportunity to climb the ladder of professional sports. Instead, Bettman and Fehr could have essentially signed the death certificate of league I really loved. If and when this CBA is ratified the NHL could potentially recover, but right now they’re speeding the absolute wrong direction. I was mystified in September, pissed in October, livid in November, but now I’m just disgusted. All I can hope is that all corporate sponsors end their partnerships and the fans boycott all things NHL. If both sides only seem to speak the language of money then that’s the only way they’ll ever notice the damage they’ve done.

• blomfeld - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Comrade Phillyphanatic77 – Well said friend and I suspect that your words echo what we’re all likely feeling right now …

18. nyrnashty - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Reading these comments LOL!

19. sergeikremlin - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Bettman looking very “Dr. Evil” in this picture, putting no. 2 (Daly) in his place.

20. bills4 - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The stupid thing I’ve ever heard. The players are looking out for their future, their families, etc.
    Are you serious. What a stupid statement. If a player can’t live off a few million a year, shame on him. If he can’t retire on 10-15 million, then he is an idiot. Looking out for their families. Ya, he is making sure they can put bread on their table. What a loser comment. This has nothing to do with their families. I am sure they will be fine.

21. bfk22 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Everybody needs to stop SAYING they don’t care and start SHOWING they don’t care by not writing these comments.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches