Dec 17, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Former New York Rangers teammates Nick Kypreos and Adam Graves will once again work together, this time as coaches for the annual Greater Toronto Hockey League Top Prospects Game, to be played on Jan. 8.
The GTHL is the largest minor hockey league in the world, boasting over 40,000 registered participants from the ages of four to 20.
The league was founded in 1911 and has produced a number of NHLers — current players include John Tavares, Jeff Skinner, PK Subban, Mike Cammalleri, Rich Nash, Tyler Seguin, Dave Bolland, Ray Emery, Sam Gagner and Jason Spezza.
The annual prospects game features the 40 top minor midget-aged players in the league and, in addition to Kypreos and Graves, ex-Detroit Red Wing Kris Draper and former Columbus GM and coach Doug MacLean will also be behind the benches.
Last year’s GTHL prospects game featured Connor McDavid, the 15-year-old phenom that was granted “exceptional player” status to be eligible for the 2012 OHL Draft — where he was selected first overall.
McDavid has since gone on to dominate with the Erie Otters, scoring 40 points through 35 games this year.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)