Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens took a risk when they decided to select Alex Galchenyuk with the third overall pick in 2012 despite the fact that he missed most of 2011-12 with a knee injury, but so far it’s paid off.
Galchenyuk has excelled in the Ontario Hockey League this season and most recently recorded eight points in two games en route to being named the OHL Player of the Week.
Galchenyuk is second behind only Ryan Strome with 61 points in 33 OHL games this season.
In the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Josh Currie had three goals and nine points in just three games to be selected as the league’s top star of the week.
Currie has taken his game to another level in 2012-13. He hasn’t been held off the scoresheet for more than three consecutive games at any point this season and he leads the league with 30 goals and 61 points in 34 games.
To round out the Canadian Hockey League, Josh Nicholls earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors. Nicholls scored three goals and recorded five assists in four games last week.
Nicholls is on a six-game point streak and is tied for ninth in the WHL with 44 points in 33 games.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)