Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens took a risk when they decided to select Alex Galchenyuk with the third overall pick in 2012 despite the fact that he missed most of 2011-12 with a knee injury, but so far it’s paid off.
Galchenyuk has excelled in the Ontario Hockey League this season and most recently recorded eight points in two games en route to being named the OHL Player of the Week.
Galchenyuk is second behind only Ryan Strome with 61 points in 33 OHL games this season.
In the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Josh Currie had three goals and nine points in just three games to be selected as the league’s top star of the week.
Currie has taken his game to another level in 2012-13. He hasn’t been held off the scoresheet for more than three consecutive games at any point this season and he leads the league with 30 goals and 61 points in 34 games.
To round out the Canadian Hockey League, Josh Nicholls earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors. Nicholls scored three goals and recorded five assists in four games last week.
Nicholls is on a six-game point streak and is tied for ninth in the WHL with 44 points in 33 games.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)