Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens took a risk when they decided to select Alex Galchenyuk with the third overall pick in 2012 despite the fact that he missed most of 2011-12 with a knee injury, but so far it’s paid off.
Galchenyuk has excelled in the Ontario Hockey League this season and most recently recorded eight points in two games en route to being named the OHL Player of the Week.
Galchenyuk is second behind only Ryan Strome with 61 points in 33 OHL games this season.
In the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Josh Currie had three goals and nine points in just three games to be selected as the league’s top star of the week.
Currie has taken his game to another level in 2012-13. He hasn’t been held off the scoresheet for more than three consecutive games at any point this season and he leads the league with 30 goals and 61 points in 34 games.
To round out the Canadian Hockey League, Josh Nicholls earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors. Nicholls scored three goals and recorded five assists in four games last week.
Nicholls is on a six-game point streak and is tied for ninth in the WHL with 44 points in 33 games.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 8
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (116)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)