Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens took a risk when they decided to select Alex Galchenyuk with the third overall pick in 2012 despite the fact that he missed most of 2011-12 with a knee injury, but so far it’s paid off.
Galchenyuk has excelled in the Ontario Hockey League this season and most recently recorded eight points in two games en route to being named the OHL Player of the Week.
Galchenyuk is second behind only Ryan Strome with 61 points in 33 OHL games this season.
In the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Josh Currie had three goals and nine points in just three games to be selected as the league’s top star of the week.
Currie has taken his game to another level in 2012-13. He hasn’t been held off the scoresheet for more than three consecutive games at any point this season and he leads the league with 30 goals and 61 points in 34 games.
To round out the Canadian Hockey League, Josh Nicholls earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors. Nicholls scored three goals and recorded five assists in four games last week.
Nicholls is on a six-game point streak and is tied for ninth in the WHL with 44 points in 33 games.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)