Dec 17, 2012, 3:27 PM EDT
Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler (back) has been cleared from injured reserve. As a reward, he’s now locked out and won’t get paid anymore.
The 26-year-old Swede told reporters today that his back (bulging disc) may never be 100 percent, but apparently it’s good enough to play whenever the season resumes.
Of note, Edler is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer. He and his agent discussed a contract extension with the Canucks prior to the expiration of the CBA, but the two sides were unable to reach a deal.
No word when another Canucks defenseman, Jason Garrison (groin), will be cleared.
Related: Kesler still “months away”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)