Dec 17, 2012, 3:27 PM EST
Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler (back) has been cleared from injured reserve. As a reward, he’s now locked out and won’t get paid anymore.
The 26-year-old Swede told reporters today that his back (bulging disc) may never be 100 percent, but apparently it’s good enough to play whenever the season resumes.
Of note, Edler is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer. He and his agent discussed a contract extension with the Canucks prior to the expiration of the CBA, but the two sides were unable to reach a deal.
No word when another Canucks defenseman, Jason Garrison (groin), will be cleared.
Related: Kesler still “months away”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)