Dec 17, 2012, 3:27 PM EST
Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler (back) has been cleared from injured reserve. As a reward, he’s now locked out and won’t get paid anymore.
The 26-year-old Swede told reporters today that his back (bulging disc) may never be 100 percent, but apparently it’s good enough to play whenever the season resumes.
Of note, Edler is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer. He and his agent discussed a contract extension with the Canucks prior to the expiration of the CBA, but the two sides were unable to reach a deal.
No word when another Canucks defenseman, Jason Garrison (groin), will be cleared.
Related: Kesler still “months away”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)