Dec 17, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
In one of the stranger lockout twists, veteran defenseman Adrian Aucoin could end up being a Blue Jacket in name only.
That’s something the 39-year-old acknowledged in speaking with the Columbus Dispatch over the weekend.
“Like it or not, I have to think about it,” he told the paper. “In a perfect world, I’d play forever.”
Aucoin’s current situation is far from perfect.
After spending the last three years in Phoenix, he signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Columbus at the start of free agency, to (theoretically) provide experience on a young defense that would (theoretically) feature Ryan Murray, Tim Erixon and John Moore.
But that plan’s gone awry.
In November, Aucoin acknowledged his future might’ve gone awry too, telling the Dispatch losing the season means a “huge possibility” for his retirement.
“I’m not naive,” he said at the time. “I think we all saw what happened [with the last lockout], and there’s really no reason to think it would be different.”
What’s more, Aucoin didn’t just move to Columbus — he brought the whole family along with him. His wife and five children relocated to the Midwest, a decision based largely on Aucoin’s research.
“One guy I keep in touch with is Freddy Modin and he still lives in Columbus, which is a surprise because most Swedish guys go home as soon as they’re done,” Aucoin explained. “The conversations I’ve had over the years with guys like Luke Richardson and Scott Lachance and Ray Whitney — these guys had nothing bad to say about it.
“They all said when the hockey gets on track, it’d be one of the better places in the league to play.”
Older players realize that a year away from the game can essentially force a curtain call, which would be too bad for Aucoin, who really wants to play for the Jackets.
“My older daughter doesn’t want to leave Columbus,” he said. “My 10-year-old plays hockey, so he has a team and a set of friends. His buddies know I’m on the Blue Jackets and they want to see me play.
“They ask me when the lockout is going to end.”
May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Is that an intentional Sharks pun?
May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
He thinks it could be a valuable wake-up call.
May 20, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
At least between Dan Cleary and Bryan Bickell.
May 20, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said they “hit the wall” after that.
May 20, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Tough night for the zebras.
May 20, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Finally some adversity for the Blackhawks.
May 20, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Peter Horachek had been with the team since 2003.
May 20, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Two goals in 31 seconds, including his beauty.
May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
That Craig Adams hit didn’t feel very good, though.
May 20, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Did anyone go over the line?
May 20, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Perhaps that hurt less than it looks.
May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
“Sooner or later something’s got to give,” he said.
May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
He has a no-trade clause.
May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Lots of stink talk coming from New York.
May 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
He hopes to be ready for the start of the 2013-14 regular season.
May 20, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.
May 20, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
But can the Rangers control the Bruins’ big forwards?
May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Just to quash that rumor entirely.
May 20, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
“Don’t stick your hands where you shouldn’t.”
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
The commissioner visited the New York Stock Exchange last week.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 36
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel