Dec 16, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
After watching Russia beat Finnish, Swedish and Czech teams by a combined score of 14-2 in the Channel One Cup tournament this weekend, legendary goalie Vladislav Tretiak stirred the pot a bit in advance of the 2014 Winter Olympics.
“Beating the Canadians? Why not?” Tretiak said. “This team can win. With slick, clinical and stable play, of course it can.”
That could be some (very early) bulletin board material, although the three-time gold medalist admits a lot can change between now and 2014.
“There are mistakes, and the team is not finalized, it’s hard to predict who’ll play in Sochi,” Tretiak said. “But the team has its signature, and the players are maintaining the correct course.”
Beyond potential hurdles for the roster – the NHL’s involvement isn’t guaranteed, for one thing – there’s also the rest of the world to consider.
(Russia didn’t earn an ice hockey medal in 2010, after all.)
Still, it’s not like Tretiak is making a broad guarantee … and it’s nice to imagine the best professional hockey players competing against each other again, isn’t it?
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness