Penner on not playing overseas: “the juice isn’t worth the squeeze”

Dec 16, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT

Dustin Penner Getty Images

Dustin Penner discussed the hard work of negotiating a new CBA with Gann Matsuda of Frozen Royalty, but the fun stuff came when he explained why he’s not playing overseas.

Perhaps it makes sense that a man who allegedly hurt his back while eating pancakes essentially compared the rigors of foreign league hockey to squeezing orange juice.

“I have my own reasons,” Penner said. “I have no problem with people going over and playing [in Europe. But] you have to fly overseas, and depending on what league you’re in, they don’t have to pay you, even though they say they will. There’s a lot of things that happen that become frustrating, whether it’s trying to get your money, or some guys get injured, like [Kings defenseman] Alec Martinez. He got hit in the face with a slapshot. He’s got six broken bones, and three plates [in his face]. If you have a family, you have to move everyone out there, there’s insurance issues.”

“ … For me, to sum it up the best, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.”

At this point, Penner should only be allowed to compare his hockey life to breakfast foods.

Here’s one stab at a future analogy: scoring a hat trick is like eating a heaping plate of bacon.

Click here for some salty discussion of the lockout, particularly the latest legal squabbles.

1. shotzongoal - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Has anyone else noticed the change of demeanor and attitude in the players comments and tweets since the NHL filed it’s class action litigation? I wonder if Fehr asked them to tone it down.

2. lroc20 - Dec 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM

James you owe me 2 minutes of my life after reading this steamy pile of crap of a blog

3. id4joey - Dec 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Is all the juice associated with this lockout worth the squeeze? Tic toc tic toc. That’s the sound of the juice being squeezed out of your fat 2012-2013 salary.

4. blomfeld - Dec 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

IT WAS SO PURE !

Of course that was our man Penner commenting on himself being “creamed” by a body check delivered to him by TJ Oshie of the Blues this past May. It was a fantastic campaign for us LA Kings this past year, filled with incredible “moments of joy” throughout. And yet that statement from Dustin Penner was probably the one which had me laughing the hardest ! :)

“It was a great hit. I haven’t been hit that hard in a while,” Penner told Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times. “It actually almost felt good, it was so pure.”

5. irish412 - Dec 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Didn’t he take that line from the movie “The girl next door”

6. broadstreetbeatdown - Dec 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Very interesting that the very reasons that these divas take for granted as part of their NHL contracts are the reasons for not wanting to play in Europe. I wish my employers paid all my travel, health and professional insurance, lodging, sustenance, relocation costs, etc etc. Sheesh I’m so over this crap! Hopefully I’ll be able to catch another Titans or Royals game before Christmas.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches