Dec 16, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
Perhaps it makes sense that a man who allegedly hurt his back while eating pancakes essentially compared the rigors of foreign league hockey to squeezing orange juice.
“I have my own reasons,” Penner said. “I have no problem with people going over and playing [in Europe. But] you have to fly overseas, and depending on what league you’re in, they don’t have to pay you, even though they say they will. There’s a lot of things that happen that become frustrating, whether it’s trying to get your money, or some guys get injured, like [Kings defenseman] Alec Martinez. He got hit in the face with a slapshot. He’s got six broken bones, and three plates [in his face]. If you have a family, you have to move everyone out there, there’s insurance issues.”
“ … For me, to sum it up the best, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.”
At this point, Penner should only be allowed to compare his hockey life to breakfast foods.
Here’s one stab at a future analogy: scoring a hat trick is like eating a heaping plate of bacon.
Click here for some salty discussion of the lockout, particularly the latest legal squabbles.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)