Dec 16, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
Perhaps it makes sense that a man who allegedly hurt his back while eating pancakes essentially compared the rigors of foreign league hockey to squeezing orange juice.
“I have my own reasons,” Penner said. “I have no problem with people going over and playing [in Europe. But] you have to fly overseas, and depending on what league you’re in, they don’t have to pay you, even though they say they will. There’s a lot of things that happen that become frustrating, whether it’s trying to get your money, or some guys get injured, like [Kings defenseman] Alec Martinez. He got hit in the face with a slapshot. He’s got six broken bones, and three plates [in his face]. If you have a family, you have to move everyone out there, there’s insurance issues.”
“ … For me, to sum it up the best, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.”
At this point, Penner should only be allowed to compare his hockey life to breakfast foods.
Here’s one stab at a future analogy: scoring a hat trick is like eating a heaping plate of bacon.
Click here for some salty discussion of the lockout, particularly the latest legal squabbles.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)