Dec 16, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
The “relatively new” federal judge assumed his role in July 2011 after spending time as a Supreme Court clerk and becoming the chief of the major crimes unit in the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan. He’s also a graduate of Harvard Law School.
Oh, but the AP points out something of way more importance: he’s a fan of the New York Yankees.
Engelmayer spent much of his time with the major crimes unit sniffing out fraud cases, while he’s already made a controversial decision as a federal judge:
In his most notable decision thus far, Engelmayer ruled a provocative ad that equates Muslim radicals with savages is protected speech under the First Amendment. New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority initially refused to run the ad, saying it was “demeaning.”
Sources such as the Los Angeles Times describe the U.S. District Court in New York as “often-friendly to sports leagues” and “pro-employer,” but much might come down to Engelmayer’s own assessment of the situation.
If you want to peek at his basic resume, the Federal Judicial Center has a bio of Engelmayer here.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)