Dec 16, 2012, 2:46 PM EST
Many Canadiens fans were worried about how their 2012 first-round pick Alex Galchenyuk would rebound from a knee injury he suffered last season. Safe to say he’s doing just fine now.
Through 33 games with the OHL’s Sarnia Sting, Galchenyuk has 27 goals and 61 points. His goal mark is good enough to tie him for first with Stars prospect Brett Ritchie and Jackets prospect Boone Jenner. His point total puts him one behind Islanders prospect Ryan Strome.
What’s more amazing is that in his last 17 games he’s got 19 goals and 40 points and with Team USA’s World Junior Championships camp opening up tonight in Tarrytown, NY he’s getting into high gear at the right time.
Over the summer at the Team USA camp in Lake Placid, Galchenyuk was busy working himself back into form after his injury last season. Now that he’s fully healthy and with the kinds of numbers he’s putting up (eight points in his last two games, five against Kingston alone), Montreal and America couldn’t be more excited.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 16
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)