Dec 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
When last season ended for Sean Avery, it came rather quickly after being banished to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Now that he’s in quasi-retirement, he seems to have transitioned quickly to his new career as an… Ad executive? You bet.
Stuart Elliott of The New York Times reports on Avery’s leap into the luxurious world of Madison Avenue where he’s working with the Lipman agency. For Avery, going from the routine of being a professional hockey player to that of a man helping to build brands has created quite the change.
“For 15 years I had the same day,” he recalled. “I would wake up, eat, practice, work out, eat and sleep, then I would go and play. So now, an eight- or nine-hour day in the office, I can’t do it.”
That won’t earn a lot of sympathy from anyone working a regular job, that’s for sure, but the compliments being served up to Avery from those in his new industry (“lover of business” “he’s a connector” “lover of luxury market”) would make you wonder if this is the same guy who tortured opponents on the ice during his 10-year career.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)