Dec 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
When last season ended for Sean Avery, it came rather quickly after being banished to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Now that he’s in quasi-retirement, he seems to have transitioned quickly to his new career as an… Ad executive? You bet.
Stuart Elliott of The New York Times reports on Avery’s leap into the luxurious world of Madison Avenue where he’s working with the Lipman agency. For Avery, going from the routine of being a professional hockey player to that of a man helping to build brands has created quite the change.
“For 15 years I had the same day,” he recalled. “I would wake up, eat, practice, work out, eat and sleep, then I would go and play. So now, an eight- or nine-hour day in the office, I can’t do it.”
That won’t earn a lot of sympathy from anyone working a regular job, that’s for sure, but the compliments being served up to Avery from those in his new industry (“lover of business” “he’s a connector” “lover of luxury market”) would make you wonder if this is the same guy who tortured opponents on the ice during his 10-year career.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)